It goes without saying that a balanced diet help in keeping one healthy and happy. A diet can also lead to healthy radiant skin. It can cut down ages from your look and keep you young. Experts are of the opinion that the right diet can slow down aging and make you feel younger. Some healthy foods help in preventing many chronic diseases, while certain others improve the senses.
Fish, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, beans, nuts, and low fat dairy products are the best bet in keeping you young and glowing even in your 50s.
- Remember to include lots of fruits and vegetables, particularly the colorful ones, to increase the intake of antioxidants. So, load up on more blueberries, tomatoes, carrots, and leafy greens to prevent oxidative damage to cells and tissues, which lead to aging. Of the different types of antioxidants, vitamin C, beta-carotene and zinc, help in preventing macular degeneration, one of the causes of blindness in elderly people. Resveratrol, the antioxidant present in grapes and red wine, reduces the risk of cancer, aging and cardiovascular diseases.
- Whole grains like oats, quinoa, barley, and wheat are rich in fiber that keep the blood vessels healthy and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes. Try to include about three servings of these whole grains in the meal.
- Fish, like salmon, trout, and tuna, are rich in omega-3 fatty acids that have several anti-aging properties. These essential fatty acids can reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, Alzheimer’s disease and stroke. If you are not very keen on taking fish, fish oil supplements can be used instead.
- If you are a vegetarian, you can look at beans and lentils as the main source of proteins. They are also alternative options for meat. This you way you can reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes that is associated with red meat.
- Nuts are good sources of essential fatty acids and are very important in reducing the risk of hypertension and high cholesterol levels in blood.
- Consuming the right dairy products is very important in giving you strong bones and to prevent osteoporosis. Include more of low-fat milk and yoghurt and reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Different healthy foods can help benefit the look of an individual's skin, and his or her overall health.