Wrinkles are a normal part of aging. Understanding the causes and different treatment options to get rid of wrinkles is the best way to take the first step in a successful battle against them.
The most common causes of wrinkles are as follows:
- With increasing age, the lower layers of skin, the dermis, becomes thinner than normal. This affects the flexibility or stretching ability of the skin, along with the structure. Aging also affects the skin’s ability to hold on to moisture. As the production of oil reduces with age, the healing process also diminishes. All these add to the creases and make it more pronounced.
- Contractions of the muscles in the face, like frowning, smiling, and other expressions can make the wrinkles more obvious.
- Exposure to sun is the most important cause of wrinkle formation.
- Smoking reduces the ability of the skin to produce adequate collagen, which maintains the structure of the skin.
Here are a few tips that would be of help in reducing these embarrassing lines on the face:
- Avoid over-exposure to the sun
- Quit smoking
- Sleep well – If you get adequate rest, it will help in the production of more, fresh skin cells.
- Use glasses to read – Straining the facial muscles to read or to focus may increase the creases. Wearing sunglasses while in the Sun will prevent formation of more wrinkles
- Eat omega-3 rich foods – Choose fishes like salmon that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids to keep the skin well nourished. This will bring in more glow to the skin and keep it youthful.
- Have cocoa – Cocoa contains good amount of flavanols, which protect the skin and make it look more youthful.
A number of treatments are also available to keep wrinkles away:
- Alpha-hydroxy acids – These topical applications remove the dead skin cells and stimulate the production of collagen.
- Retinoids – This drug is supposed to reduce the creases and help in repair of the skin.
- Vitamin C – Topical application of this helps to improve production of collagen and protect the skin from sun damage.
- Idebenone – This antioxidant is known to reduce dryness of the skin and improve hydration.
- Growth factors – They are good in reducing the damage due to Sun and in improving healing process in the skin.