- Blackheads are caused by the clogging of skin pores with a plugged opening.
- Some ways to fight against blackheads include exfoliation, facial masks, and peels.
- Squeezing is the worst treatment for blackheads.
How do I Get Rid of Blackheads?
Blackheads – what are they good for? Don’t you feel like you can see them but cannot do anything about them? Now your friend has a chance to point out that your face is not so clear after all! If only you could banish them completely! Understanding these frustrating spots is the first successful step towards controlling them. So relax and read on....
Blackheads, also known as open comedo, are openings in the skin plugged with the accumulation of dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria. Although it is known as a blackhead, the color may sometimes appear yellow or brown. These openings are actually the initial stages of acne and may develop into an annoying pimple. Formation of blackheads is common after the beginning of puberty, and their appearance differs from person to person. Many factors are known to influence the formation and appearance of these unwanted clogs. These include age, skin maintenance, hormone levels, and even family history.
One of the most common causes of blackheads is the increased production of oil by skin glands. An increase in the production of certain hormones may result in too much activity in the oil glands resulting in an accumulation of oil in the skin pores. Unkempt skin also increases the risk of blackheads, particularly during a person's teenage years. Skin that is not cleaned properly can result in the accumulation of dead skin cells and oil in the open pores. Overuse of creams, sunscreens, and moisturizers may also lead to blackhead formation. In addition, stress and anxiety may lead to formation of acne indirectly.
Here are few simple tips to fighting against blackheads:
- Exfoliation – This is one of the best ways to minimize the appearance of blackheads. Cleansers can be used to remove dead skin cells and pore clogs. Baking soda is a useful ingredient for making a gentle paste for exfoliation. Lemon juice and sugar may also be used to clear away skin clogs.
- Facial masks – These are ideal for deep skin cleaning. One can use clay masks, pastes, or powders for cleaning pores and removing excess oil in the skin.
- Salicylic acid and glycolic acid – Combination peels containing these two ingredients are good in dissolving the contents from the clogged pores in the skin.
- Retinoids – This is a derivative of vitamin A and a good product for removing blackheads. Both over-the-counter and prescription products are available in retinoids. These products control the growth and shedding of skin cells and prevent the formation of acne.
- Microdermabrasion – In this procedure, chemical peel treatments extract the clogged contents, which improves skin texture.
Choose whichever method you prefer, but remember to avoid squeezing the blackheads! This is the worst treatment for controlling blackheads and will only hurt.