Plastic surgery is performed to alter the appearance of a human body. It is performed by professional surgeons to achieve the desired look or figure. Each patient will have their own idea about how they should look after undergoing plastic surgery.
There are different types of plastic surgeries depending on the objective of the operation. For example, face lift involves the tightening and reduction of the volume occupied by sagging skin on the face whereas eyelid surgery, nose job, etc. involve different aspects.
As a result, the procedure includes very sensitive and delicate operations such as reconstruction, restoration and alteration of the human tissues.
Steps towards the Preparation of Plastic Surgery
Since the procedure disturbs the body tissues, there are a number of factors that might affect the operation. Preparation is geared towards putting your body into a safe state before the surgery.
Recovery after plastic surgery is also another serious and a very important step. Preparation will help your body to recover after the operation. In most cases, your body should be strong enough to recover from the scars and cuttings.
Here are some steps to prepare for any type of plastic surgery.
Foods to Avoid as You Prepare for Plastic Surgery
The human body is very delicate and sensitive in terms of metabolic processes. As a result, any food consumed can cause a very significant effect on the general functioning of your body.
Since plastic surgery involves the alteration of body tissues, the foods you take few days before the period of procedure might affect the operation. For example, they may increase bleeding which can be dangerous.
Most of the foods contain Salicylate chemical which increases bleeding by thinning the blood. Here are some of the things to avoid.
Starches- However, it is fine to take products such as popcorn, rice, rolls, peas, cereals, breads or croissants.
Beverages- Always avoid the intake of distilled drinks, tea, beer, root beer, wine, birch beer and carbonated drinks. However, it is okay to take drinks such as coffee, cereal drinks, milk and any fruit juice made from safe fruits.
Fats- There are a number of fats that can be harmful to consume when undergoing plastic surgery. They may include olive oil, almonds, avocados, olives, peanuts or mayonnaise.
At the same time, there are fat products that are safe to consume when you are about to undergo plastic surgery. They include vegetable oil, cashews, butter, margarine or pecans.
Here is a list of vegetables that needs to be avoided when preparing for a plastic surgery.
- Green peppers
- Canned mushrooms
- Tabasco peppers
Here is a list of vegetables that are safe to consume during this period.
- Green beans
- Fresh mushrooms
Avoid the following
- Vitamin E- You should avoid the intake of vitamin E as much as possible. Vitamin E is highly related to bleeding which makes your plastic surgery operation harmful.
- It is also recommended that you avoid the intake of certain herbal supplements that contain vitamin E effect. These include ephedra, garlic, ginger, ginseng, ginko biloba and omega 3.
Here are the vitamins to take
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C is known to be an effective factor in the production of collagen which is essential in the healing process. It is important to take vitamin C since the surgery depletes vitamin C amounts in the body. As a result, you are advised to this vitamin before and after the surgery.
- Arnica Montana- Arnica can be obtained as a gel or ointment from Arnica Montana, a plant found in the mountain regions of Southern Russia and Europe. This type of substance is known to reduce inflammation, speed healing and soothe aches. There are poisonous Arnica as well.
- Vitamin A- Vitamin A helps to speed up the healing as a result of its collagen properties and provide protection against viral and bacterial infections. taken in excess, it can be dangerous. As a result, it is better to consult your surgeon before taking them in excess amounts.
Here is a list of fruits not recommended to consume while preparing for a plastic surgery.
- Dates, raisins, melon
- Prunes, peaches, plums
- Cherries, currants, apples
- Apricots, berries, apple cider
Here is a list of fruits that are safe to consume during this period.
- Papayas, tangerines, pears
- Lemons, bananas, blueberries
- Mangoes, rhubarb, grapefruit
Sweets and desserts
You are not supposed to take cakes and pies which has fruits, wintergreen or mint products.
You can consume cookies and homemade cakes but not those that are made from the restricted fruits.
Apart from avoiding and taking certain foods, there are a number of steps that should be followed as you approach your surgery day. This must be done as you count weeks to make sure you are ready for the procedure.
4 Weeks to Your Day
Four weeks before the surgery, you will be required to undergo a physical examination which will be performed by your physician. This is done in case if there is any other abnormality in the body.
3 Weeks to the Day
You will have to stop smoking and drinking at this point. Smoking interferes with the healing process. It hinders the flow of blood which affects your healing process.
Avoid drinking as much as possible. Alcohol dries out the skin. As a result, it makes it difficult for a surgeon to work on it.
Also, alcohol contains thinning effects which will slow down the healing of your cuttings. This will affect your recovery in general.
You are also required to distinguish between foods that needs to be taken and not to be taken.
2 Weeks to the Day
You can start taking multi-vitamin and other recommended vitamins during this stage. However, you should reduce the amounts of vitamin E.
Take only the vitamins prescribed by your doctor. Stop the intake of any medication containing aspirin. Aspirin is known to contain a chemical that causes thinning of blood.
Avoid anti-inflammatory foods and anti-coagulants.
1 Week to the Day
Drink high amounts of water.
Eat a lot of vegetables, protein and fruits. Always make sure that you take the recommended foods.
Reduce the intake of sodium to around 1200 mg per day.
Have enough rest.
2 Days to the Surgery Day
Take Bromelain at intervals of 12 hours.
Have Arnica Montana as prescribed.
A Day to the Surgery
This is just a single day to the procedure. There is not much to do. However, ensure that you have a good sleep and rest that night. Do not eat or drink anything from midnight till the time of surgery.
The Bottom Line
If you want to undergo plastic surgery then you must adhere to the preparation steps very well. The preparation steps before a plastic surgery procedure will determine a number of things. One of these is the rate at which you will recover and heal the wound. Always consult your doctor for further guidelines.
- Foods to consume when preparing for a plastic surgery.
- Foods to avoid when preparing for a plastic surgery.
- The preparation steps before a plastic surgery procedure will determine a number of things such as the rate of recovery.