What is Eucalyptus Oil?
The Tasmanian Blue Gum, which is also popularly known as the Eucalyptus tree, is one of the evergreen trees mostly found in Australia, but now it is also available in other parts of the world such as Europe, India and South Africa. This tree is considered as one of the main food sources for the koala bears.
Though the eucalyptus tree is known to provide some amazing nutritional value for the wildlife out there, the oil which is extracted from the leaves is known to contain amazing medicinal properties. The eucalyptus tree is scientifically classified as Eucalyptus Globulus, which in various other locations is known by other names such as stringy bark tree, fever tree and blue gum tree.
There are a wide range of properties loaded in eucalyptus oil, few of them include antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, stimulating, deodorant, decongestant and a host of medicinal properties. Eucalyptus oil is treated as an essential oil, it is basically colorless and also has a distinctive odor as well as taste.
Even though eucalyptus oil is called an essential oil, it was not popular as an aromatherapy oil, as not much was known about this oil in comparison to the other ancient forms of aromatherapy substances. Due to the discovery of the varied health benefits of this oil, the world is slowly learning its benefits.
Many countries in the world are known to produce eucalyptus oil in smaller quantities, however its main source of production in the world is still in Australia. Due to the numerous therapeutic benefits of eucalyptus oil and its compound called as eucalyptol, which is its active ingredient, there are a wide variety of counter drugs in which this oil is used such as rash creams, inhalers, rubs, mouthwash and liniments.
Benefits and Uses of Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil has some really amazing properties due to which it has a broad range of health benefits spread across:
- Healthy hair: For having those frizzy locks look more moisturized and nourished, take a few drops of eucalyptus oil and mix it with a few drops of coconut oil. Apply it gently on the hair and easily get the moisture back in your hair. For those who are having problems with lice in the hair, instead of going in for those harsh chemical-based shampoos or other treatments, try using eucalyptus oil as a natural treatment to get rid of the lice.
- Relief from flu and cold: Eucalyptus oil works as an expectorant, wherein it cleans the body from all the unwanted toxins and harmful organisms which can make one feel sick. To use eucalyptus oil in a more efficient manner for treating cold, add several drops of this oil into the diffuser before going off to sleep and take advantage of the healing benefits. You can also make use of the oil by pouring a cup of boiling water into a vessel or a bowl to prepare a steam bath and add around nine to ten drops of eucalyptus oil to it. Place a towel over your head and inhale the steam. Continue this for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Provides relief from sinus and allergies: As per one of the studies, eucalyptus has shown to be effective in the treatment of sinusitis. Those individuals who were suffering from allergies or any issues related to sinus showed a faster rate of improvement when they were provided eucalyptus oil for treatment. The oil was supposed to be taken internally. For those with sore throat issues, this oil could be used for gargling along with some warm water.
- Dental care: Eucalyptus oil is considered to be very effective against any kind of dental problems such as cavities, gingivitis, infections in the teeth, dental plaque, and any other kind of germicidal properties. This is also the main reason why eucalyptus essential oil is mostly found as one of the active ingredients in most of the toothpastes, mouthwashes or any other kind of dental products.
- Helps in cleaning dirty or stained hands and feet: This oil is considered to be an excellent cleaning agent for removing any kind of grease or dirt on the hands and legs which gets accumulated due to everyday work. It also helps to moisturize and rejuvenate sore feet and hands when it is mixed along with bathing water. One can look to mix Epsom salt, a small amount of sea salt and eucalyptus oil to remove any kind of grease or hard stains.
- Removes odor: Odor is something which we all run from. When you are struggling to get rid of the bad odor emitted from those stinky shoes or from any item, then add some eucalyptus oil in water and mix it well. Now, soak the odor items in the eucalyptus-infused water and then keep them outside in the sun for drying. This would lead to reduction of the bad smell and at the same time, it would maintain the shape as well. You can also look to prepare an anti-stink spray by mixing it with lemon oil or tea tree oil.
- Provides relief from muscle pain: For those who are experiencing joint or muscle pain, use of eucalyptus oil is considered to be one of the best ways to get relief from such pain. You can massage this oil gently on the skin and it would instantly provide relief from pain. This oil contains analgesic as well as anti-inflammatory properties due to which it helps to keep inflammation at bay. This oil is mostly recommended for individuals who are suffering from stiff muscles, sprained ligaments, lumbago, rheumatism, pain in the nerve, fibrosis, sprained tendons and aches. Remember that while applying the oil, massage it gently in a circular motion on the affected region so as to find relief from the pain.
Relief from mental disorder: In today’s rushing world, our minds are constantly racing. There are a lot of things going on in our mind all at the same time, leading to mental exhaustion. It leads to chronic cases of stress, mental anxiety, depression and any other forms of mental issues. With the use of eucalyptus oil, it would help to provide a cooling impact along with making the mind feel fresh again. Eucalyptus oil acts as a stimulant which leads to removal of any kind of mental exhaustion and sluggishness. The use of this oil helps in rejuvenating the moods of those who are feeling sick. It is considered as one of the best treatments for those who are suffering from mental disorders and stress.
Eucalyptus oil is also helpful in increasing the flow of blood to the brain. It helps to relax the blood vessels and cause better circulation of blood throughout the body as well as the brain. When the flow of blood to the brain is more, it would mean that there is increase in the brain power. Eucalyptus oil has been used as one form of casual aromatherapy for increasing the performance of the students in a classroom.
- Vital for home care: Eucalyptus oil provides a fresh and nice fragrance as well. Cleaning any of the home products items with this oil would also provide an anti-microbial feature to it. This oil can be added to basically any cleaning agent such as soap, toilet cleaner, laundry detergent, floor cleaner, window cleaner and many more.
- Diabetes: When taken internally, eucalyptus oil is considered to be helpful in controlling the blood sugar levels in the body. This oil acts as a vasodilator wherein its intake in any form is known to be helpful in increasing the circulation of blood in the body. individuals who suffer from diabetes often lack good circulation of blood throughout the body. This condition can be dangerous and in certain cases, it can lead to death or amputation of that particular body part. Hence, such individuals should frequently massage eucalyptus oil onto the skin externally or inhaled this oil as a vapor to ease any kind of blood vessel constriction. After a shower, you can massage this oil on the body. It would lead to good results. Also, it is known to provide relaxation among diabetes patients.
- Removes spots and stains: Eucalyptus oil is very effective in removing those hard stains or spots from clothes, carpet or any fabric in the house. If there is gum stuck to the shoes, then eucalyptus oil also helps to get it off, without spoiling the costly fabrics or shoes. However, before using the oil, it is best to try it out first on a small piece of fabric or in an inconspicuous place to see that the oil does not react in a strange manner to the material, since one cannot trust the synthetic materials available in the market nowadays.
- Treatment of wounds: As mentioned earlier, eucalyptus oil is loaded with antimicrobial as well as antiseptic properties. These properties make it effective in treating wounds, bruises, cuts, sores, burns and scrapes. This oil can be used as an ointment to be applied on stings or any kind of bug bites. Eucalyptus oil acts a pain reliever and at the same time, it ensures that the particular area does not get infected again, leading to speedy recovery.
Helps in treating any respiratory problems: Eucalyptus essential oil is mostly effective in treating those individuals who suffer from respiratory problems such as cold, cough, runny nose, sore throat, nasal congestion, asthma and bronchitis. This oil has antifungal, antimicrobial, antibacterial and decongestant properties, thus making it an important ingredient in most of the medicines to treat respiratory problems.
Asthma is a condition which is known to impact millions of individuals around the world. Also, there are a host of treatments for getting this condition treated, one of them being the use of eucalyptus oil. You can take a few drops of eucalyptus oil and massage it on the chest. It would provide a soothing effect and the aroma of the oil along with its vapors would provide comfort to the throat as well as dilate the blood vessels. This would lead to allowing more oxygen to flow into the lungs and the breathing would be back again to normal. Due to the anti-inflammatory properties found in this oil, it is mostly used as a treatment option for treating symptoms caused due to asthma.
- Penumonia and Tuberculosis treatment: Due to the antibacterial and antiseptic properties present in eucalyptus oil, it is known to play an important role for providing relief in patients suffering from tuberculosis and pneumonia. This oil should be massaged onto the chest gently and it can also be used as an inhalant. Regular use would help to clear the congestion from the lungs and also reduce the inflammation. To provide better results, ensure to apply this oil on the chest as well as the back.
- Freshens up the air: Eucalyptus oil has antiseptic properties in addition to a deodorant nature, which makes it one of the best options to use as a room freshener mostly in hospitals. It helps to kill the bacteria and germs which are present in the air thus maintaining a clean environment and also keeping the rooms sterilized at all times.
- Fever: Eucalyptus oil is also used in the treatment of fever or to normalize the body temperature. Hence, it has also been given the name, fever oil. A mixture of eucalyptus oil and peppermint oil when sprayed across the body like a deodorant would help to reduce the temperature of the body.
- Skin treatment: This oil can be applied topically on the skin for the treatment of any kind of skin infections. It also helps in speedy recovery.
- Eucalyptus oil also known as fever oil or blue gum oil is mostly found in the natives of Australia.
- Eucalyptus oil is extracted from the leaves of the tree and is known to contain a lot of healing properties.
- It is known to have antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, stimulating, deodorant, decongestant and a host of medicinal properties.