What is Eucalyptus Oil?
The Tasmanian Blue Gum, which is also more commonly known as the Eucalyptus tree, is one of the evergreen trees mostly found in Australia. It is also available in Europe, India and South Africa. This tree is considered one of the main food sources for koala bears.
Though the eucalyptus tree is known to provide significant nutritional value for wildlife, the oil extracted from the leaves has many healing properties. The eucalyptus tree is scientifically classified as Eucalyptus Globulus, which in various other locations is known as stringy bark tree, fever tree and blue gum tree.
There are a wide range of properties loaded in eucalyptus oil, and it is used as an antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, deodorant, decongestant and supports weight loss by reducing cravings.
Eucalyptus oil and its active ingredient eucalyptol, is used in rash creams, inhalers, rubs, mouthwash and liniments. It has has a powerful earthy and slightly sweet scent that can support your well being.
- Traditional Uses: Soothing, rejuvenating, and uplifting.
- Botanical Name: Eucalyptus globulus
- Scent: Earthy, slightly sweet
- Essential Oil blends with: Pine, thyme, lavender, rosemary, cedarwood and lemon.
Benefits and Uses of Eucalyptus Oil
- Healthy hair: The oil will reduce frizz and leave hair moisturized and nourished. Take just a few drops of this essential oil and mix it with a few drops of coconut, jojoba, almond or apricot oil. Apply it gently to the hair and easily get the moisture back in your hair.
- Relief from flu and cold: Eucalyptus oil works as an expectorant, because it can cleanse the body from unwanted toxins. Make use of the oil by pouring a cup of boiling water into a bowl to prepare a steam bath and add 9-10 drops of eucalyptus oil to it. Place a towel over the head and inhale the steam. Continue this for 10 minutes.
- Provides relief from sinus and allergies: Eucalyptus oil has shown to be effective in the treatment of sinusitis. Those individuals who were suffering from allergies show a faster improvement when they were provided eucalyptus oil for treatment.
- Dental care: Eucalyptus oil is considered to be very effective against cavities and gingivitis. This is also the main reason why eucalyptus essential oil is an active ingredients in most of the toothpastes, mouthwashes and other kinds of dental products.
- Removes odor: When struggling to get rid of bad odors, clean with eucalyptus-infused water. You can also look to prepare an "anti-stink" spray by mixing it with lemon oil or tea tree oil.
- Reduces muscle pain: Mix the oil with almond oil, jojoba oil or coconut oil and apply to the sore muscles, The oil contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is recommended for individuals who suffering from stiff muscles, sprained ligaments, lumbago, rheumatism, pain in the nerve, fibrosis, sprained tendons and aches. Remember that while applying the oil, massage it gently in a circular motion on the affected region so as to find relief from the pain.
- House cleaning: Eucalyptus oil provides a fresh and clean fragrance. Cleaning The oil can be added to most all cleaning agents such as soap, toilet cleaner, laundry detergent, floor cleaner, window cleaner and many more.
- Treatment of wounds: Eucalyptus oil is packed with antimicrobial and antiseptic properties making it effective in treating wounds, bruises, cuts, sores, burns and scrapes. This oil can be used as an ointment to be applied on stings and other kind of bug bites. Eucalyptus oil acts a pain reliever and at the same time, it ensures that the particular area does not get infected again, leading to speedy recovery.
- Respiratory & Asthma: Eucalyptus essential oil is most effective in treating respiratory problems such as cold, cough, runny nose, sore throat, nasal congestion, asthma and bronchitis. This oil has antifungal, antimicrobial, antibacterial and decongestant properties, making it an important ingredient in most of the medicines to treat respiratory problems.
- Air freshener: Eucalyptus oil acts as a deodorant making it one of the best options to use as a room freshener.