8. Cory Monteith
Glee star Cory Monteith died of an accidental overdose of heroin and alcohol at age 31. After his shocking death, it was revealed the star had struggled with substance abuse issues throughout most of his adult life. He had a troubled adolescence, abusing alcohol and drugs since age 13.
Throughout his adult life, periods of drug and alcohol abuse were intermittently scattered with periods of rehabilitation and abstinence. He went to rehab for the first time at age 19, after his concerned mother and friends staged an intervention. Unfortunately, Monteith struggled to stay clean; despite his repeated efforts, he was unable to break free from his addiction issues.
Prior to his death, he spent two months in a rehab facility. As a result, his tolerance was lower than it had been before his stint in rehab. Decreased tolerance is the reason recovering addicts are susceptible to accidental overdoses.
Photo source: Cory Monteith by Mi@.c