- The 21-day fix plan is one of those trendy plans which helps you to lose weight in a healthy way as it is a combination of healthy eating and working out spread over 21 days.
- There are seven different containers in six different colors and sizes provided as part of the plan that should be filled up with their respective type of food.
- The individual would also receive two separate DVDs which would include an exercise schedule with seven different 30 minutes of workout for each day of the week.
Introduction of 21-day Fix
This 21-day plan revolves around the idea that it can take anyone 21 days to create a healthy habit successfully. This was created by a certified celeb from the National Academy of Sports Medicine called Autumn Calabrese. It is said that the diet which is provided in this plan combines portion control with regular physical activity so as to promote losing weight in just three weeks.
As part of this program, the people who have enrolled in this program receive color coded containers so as to measure the portions. As per the plan, there would be a total of seven different containers in six different colors and sizes. Each of these containers would be filled up with their respective type of food. The 21-day fix plan would use each of these seven containers in six different sizes to make eating healthy and losing weight look a lot simpler and easier.
Depending on the caloric intake, each of the containers must be filled with their respective type of food. These portions would include:
- 1 green container for veggies with serving size of 1 cup (8 ounces)
- 1 purple container for fruits with serving size of 1 cup (8 ounces)
- 1 red container for proteins with serving size of 3/4th cup (6 ounces)
- 1 yellow container for carbs with serving size of ½ cup (5.3 ounce)
- 2 orange containers for seeds and dressings with serving size of 2 tbsp. (2.7 ounce)
- 1 blue container for healthy fats and cheese with serving size of 1/3rd cup
- 1 shakeology cup for various healthy drinking options
To find out how much food one can take in, firstly one would need to calculate his or her specific calorie intake. This can be done by multiplying one’s current weight by 11 and then adding up 400. The outcome of this would give the daily caloric intake one needs to consume as to maintain their weight. If one needs to find out how much you need to lose weight, then subtract the above outcome by 750.
Based on one’s calorie intake, the 21-day fix plan would assign an allowance of daily containers. For example, if one is within the calorie range of say suppose 1200 to 1499, then the individual would be allowed any three green type of veggies, two fruits, four different types of proteins, one type of seeds and dressings and lastly, two different types of carbs per day. The guide as per the plan breaks down each of the container with a list of foods which one can consume. This makes it easier to create a weekly eating pattern.
When you wake up in the morning, think what you would like to eat for morning breakfast or at lunch time and for dinner. It is always recommended to plan for 3 main meals such as breakfast, lunch and dinner, but one can also go in for in-between snacks so they don’t feel hungry or wait until the next meal. One can plan two or three snacks in between each of the major meals in a day.
Also, keep oneself hydrated as much as possible. Drinking water is always good. By drinking water, one can reduce the appetite in between snacks or meals. Apart from water, one can also drink herbal tea, green tea, normal tea or coffee. If one feels too hungry in between, then they can eat an extra green container of veggies.
Apart from these, the individual would also receive two separate DVDs which would include an exercise schedule. This include seven different 30 minutes of workout for each day of the week.
Simple Steps to create a 21-day Fix meal plan
- Firstly, print a blank weekly meal planning worksheet and the shopping list. The worksheet should comprise of the days from Monday to Sunday and the times when you are going to eat. Let us say you can divide it as Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner and Snack. In this way the meal gets divided equally in six different ways and timings.
- The next step would be to refer to the main list of clean eating recipes. This list would be referred by you over and over again and hence keep it handy in some easily accessible place. One can also refer online for some great healthy eating recipes.
- As one adds things to the list, mark off the containers. When you add something to the meal plan, cross it off the appropriate section.
- One can start planning the easy meals of the day which would be the breakfast and the snacks. Usually, most of the people tend to eat the same thing for breakfast or one can switch between a couple of options, hence you can fill those first.
- The next plan is to think what would fit for dinner. Often, there are leftover meals which are used throughout the day which can be thought off to be used. In case if one does not have time to cook or would be away from home for most part of the day, then you can think of having the crockpot meals.
- Lunch can be planned in such a way that in some cases you can also use the leftover salads or any protein from the previous day.
Tips for Snacking
- Carbs should be taken in the earlier part of the day.
- One should avoid the intake of fruits or carbs alone. It should always be accompanied by proteins or fat so as to ensure that the blood sugar levels are normal.
- The nutrient intake should be spread across throughout the day, hence one should plan accordingly.
- Do not stress much about food.
- If one is unsure about the serving size, then you can use the measuring container to measure the ingredient intake and then accordingly add in the recipes.
- To ensure that the planning becomes easier, one should list out the favorite things which can be taken for breakfast or snacks.
21 Days Fix Snack Ideas
The 21-day fix snack provides for clean eating. It makes an individual understand the correct portion sizes. Another important aspect of this program is to ensure that you eat snacks in between the meals. It is similar to spreading the portions throughout the day.
Below are few of the clean and healthy snacks which can be taken during the 21-day program:
- Baked apple for which one would need to cut the apple in half and sprinkle some cinnamon over it. Bake it for 15mins at 400 degrees. (This would come under 1 purple container)
- Apple with cheese slices (This would come under 1 purple and 1 blue container)
- Whole grain toast with cheese and sliced tomatoes, one can also add in some fresh basil for the taste buds. (This would fall under 1 blue, 1 yellow and ½ green containers)
- Sweet potatoes baked with cinnamon sprinkles (This would fall under 1 yellow container)
- One can also have kale chips which falls under 1 green container.
- Have some sliced tomatoes with avocado and some lime juice squeezed on top of it. (This would fall under 1 green and 1 blue container)
- To regain some energy and also have a filling snack, one can go in for peanut butter apple. Spread one to two teaspoon of peanut butter on a small sliced apple. This would equal one purple container.
- To get something sweeter one can go in for oats with a twist. Oats which are topped with unsweetened shredded coconut. This would equal to one yellow and one orange container.
- For those missing on some probiotic food, can go in for Greek yogurt. Add blueberries to the Greek yogurt. If you want it in a cooler version, then first cool the berries for at least an hour or two before you add them to the yogurt. This portion would equal to one red and one purple container.
- Red bell peppers with cheese on it. Scoop out the bell pepper and add in some cheese filling. You can also spread some basil leaves for garnishing. (This would fall under 1 green and 1 blue container)
- On some occasions, one can also eat some unsalted handful of nuts which would fall under the blue container.
- Eggs are always said to be filled with proteins and very good for health. If you are having a hard time to prepare something or are in a rush, then this is a quick and easy egg sandwich recipe. Place two hard boiled eggs which are halved on a piece of whole wheat toast. Fold them in half and eat. This would equal one red and one yellow container.
- Tea and coffee can be consumed during this 21-day fix plan. To make some changes in the coffee recipe, blend a cup of coffee or iced coffee with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. This would equal to one red container.
- For those who are craving for sweet, here is one sweet bearing recipe. Spread two teaspoon of almond butter on a whole grain waffle and have it. This would equal to one yellow container.
- Egg scramble is everyone’s favorite recipe. It is quite easy to make and also fills up those hunger pangs. It is also called as well-balanced snacking. Heat one teaspoon of coconut oil in a pan and add mixed veggies of your choice. Crack two eggs on top of this mixture. Then mix the contents in the pan with a spatula until the eggs are cooked properly. This is a yummy treat for your tummy and would equal to one red and one green container.
- A unique combination of pineapple and cottage cheese would give a sweet and sour taste. Cut the pineapple in slices and mix it with small quantity of cottage cheese. This can be made as a light and healthy breakfast or as a morning snack. This would equal to one red and one purple container.
- If you are a banana lover, then this recipe is for you. Blend one half of a banana along with unsweetened almond milk. You can also use any other low-fat milk. Keep this mixture in the freezer for an hour. Once done, you can then enjoy the yummy banana creamsicle recipe. This would equal to one purple as well as one yellow container.
- Nuts are a great food especially when it comes to snacking. Nuts are a good source of healthy fats and hence, they can be kept handy especially when you will be out travelling most of the time. Mix all the various types of nuts such as almonds, cashews, pistachios, peanuts, walnuts, pecans. But remember to not get them salted, these should be consumed unsalted. This would make up to one blue container.
- One of the other healthy, yet yummy option is kale chips. Steam and tear the kale into small bite size pieces. Add a teaspoon of extra virgin oil over it. Lay these chips flat on a cookie sheet and sprinkle spices as per your choice, but in moderation. You can sprinkle black pepper or cayenne pepper as well. Bake these chips for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Once it’s done halfway, flip over on the other side. These chips would be equal to one green container.
- If one loves to have jam, but cannot have it now due to the rules of the plan, then not to worry. Spread one teaspoon of almond butter on half a piece of whole grain bread. Slice few of the strawberry and lay them over the bread and fold in half. This would make for a good bread and jam recipe. This would equal to one yellow and one purple container.
- Cheese and whole wheat crackers are also a good combination of taste and health. This is one of the all-time favorite snacks which can be eaten during the morning snacks. But one should ensure to have this in moderation, only then it would be called as healthy snacking. Slice up the cheese and add it on top of each cracker.