Chickpea Shawarma Stuffed Pitas
This is an awesome meatless dish. Instead of beef, use chickpeas because they are packed with protein. This recipe is from Naturally Ella.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbso ground coriander
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1-15 ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 1 to 2 handfuls chopped lettuce
- Feta cheese (or goat cheese is great, too), optional
- Parsley, for topping
- Gluten-free pitas (these can be purchased from your local supermarket
Preheat oven to 400˚ F. In a medium bowl, combine minced garlic with spices (cumin, coriander, sea salt, turmeric, allspice, ginger, black pepper and cayenne pepper). Add in the olive oil and stir until well combined and a paste has formed. Stir in the chickpeas, red onions, and red pepper. Transfer chickpeas to a roasting pan and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes until chickpeas are hot and onions are tender.
Slice each pita in half and heat the pita until they are warm enough to work with. Open the pocket and spread 1 tablespoon of hummus in each. Follow with a handful of lettuce and 1/4 of the chickpea mixture. Repeat with the remaining pita halves. Top with extra hummus, parsley, and feta.
Photo and recipe credit: Chickpea stuffed shawarma by Naturally Ella.