Most of fad diets that are popular do help in reducing body weight, but they make you feel hungry. Often, people who are on crash diets regain the weight lost once they are back on the track of their normal diet. Experts are of the opinion that one can definitely lose weight by just modifying his or her lifestyle.
Some of the tips that will help in losing weight without a diet include:
- Never skip breakfast - It is seen that people who avoid having a healthy breakfast, tend to eat more during the day. Thus, instead of cutting down calories, skipping breakfast actually leads to adding calories. Studies report that people who eat breakfast have a lower body mass index when compared to those who skip breakfast.
- Avoid late-night snacking - Follow a strict schedule to stop eating during the night. If you have a sweet tooth, have a cup of tea, a piece of candy, or a small bowl of light ice cream after dinner. Remember to brush your teeth to avoid eating anything further after this.
- Avoid sweetened drinks - Sweetened drinks are the major culprit in adding calories without reducing hunger in any way. When thirsty, opt for water, low-fat milk, or a small portion of fruit juice. If you feel hungry in between meals, go for a glass of low-calorie juice. Limit alcohol intake as much as possible.
- Eat more of fruits and vegetables - This will reduce the intake of other foods that adds calories. Try to add more vegetables to your platter and keep meat to a minimum. It would be better if you can start your lunch or dinner with a salad. Try to include as many vegetables and fruits in the meals and snacks. This will give the benefits of minerals, vitamins, phytonutrients, and fiber from the fresh produce.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains - More fiber in the food will give a fuller feeling soon and prevent overeating, so eating refined grains and whole grains is a viable option.
- Reduce the portion size by about 10% in every meal - This will help to reduce calorie intake. Opt for small plates and cups for all meals and snacks.
- Walk for a few more steps every day - Try to get a pedometer and gradually add more steps every day. Some simple tips will help to add more steps, like walking while talking on phone, and while watching television, take a break and walk few steps during commercials.
- Include low-fats protein with every meal and snack - to keep you feel full and prevent overeating. It can be low-fat yogurt, small portion of nuts, lean meat, or beans. Also try to make it small, frequent meals so that blood sugar levels remain steady.