- Weight loss and atrial fibrillation
- Symptoms of artial fibrillation and weight loss
Can Losing Weight Reduce The Symptoms Of Atrial Fibrillation?
Atrial fibrillation has been an infection that poses a lot of fear and confusion among the many people who are diagnosed with this condition. It is known to cause abnormal quivering of the atria heart chamber as a result of altered electrical signals in the heart.
Once you have AFib you will experience a number of symptoms, which may include:
What Causes Atrial Fibrillation?
AFib is a condition that is caused by a number of factors. They may include:
- Other heart infections
- Thyroid defects
- High blood pressure
- Lung diseases
- Excessive use of alcohol
- High amounts of nicotine and caffeine in the body
- Excess exercising
Is Atrial Fibrillation Related To Weight?
Yes. There is a relationship between your weight and the chances of having AFib. Overweight or obese individuals are known to have very high risk of having the condition. Being overweight is known to alter most of the body mechanisms hence causing AFib. One of the mechanisms altered is blood sugar and sodium levels in the body. As result, it easily causes high blood pressure, which causes the condition.
How Does Weight Loss Reduce AFib?
The following are ways in which reduction of weight can help you fight atrial fibrillation easily. They include the following.
- According to scientific research, people with healthy weight levels sleep well. Maintaining a balanced weight helps in reducing sleep apnea, which is a major cause of AFib and other coronary infections.
- It also reduces the amounts of certain chemicals in the body, such as cholesterol, which are major causes of AFib and other heart related infections.
- Weight loss also helps the body maintain a regular heartbeat. Being overweight/obese requires the heart to function more than normal trying to provide enough oxygen and blood for body functioning.
- High weight alters the metabolic systems of the body and balancing of sugars and other dissolved minerals in the body. Losing weight also help you to reduce cases of conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure. This helps to reduce AFib since diabetes is highly associated to AFib.
Tips on Losing Weight to Reduce AFib
Weight loss is not a process that can be achieved immediately. However, patience and following strict guidelines can help you achieve a lot within a short time. Here are some of the tips you can follow to reduce weight and remain health at the same time.
The kind of lifestyle you live and foods that you consume are a big contributor in either gaining or losing weight. To lose weight, it is always important to reduce the number of fats you ingest. Reduce amounts of sugar intake. Also avoid too much processed food.
This is a very sensitive method of losing weight, especially for people living with AFib. Excess exercising is known to be a cause factor for atrial fibrillation. Hence, you are required to perform minimal exercises that only target weight loss. Visit a doctor for more guidance on how to exercise healthily.
The Bottom Line
Weight loss has been proven to be one of the ways in which you can reduce atrial fibrillation. However, there are other methods that can contribute, which include:
- Reducing intake of caffeine
- Reduce alcohol intake
- Treating other underlying infections especially those related to the heart.