A quinoa burger can be a colorful part of your child's meal
This is perfect if your child is just beginning to embrace quinoa. Make this fun and use different colors of quinoa!
From the blog Gluten Free on a Shoestring, here is a healthy recipe for quinoa burgers.
- 1 medium shallot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Juice of 1 medium lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 3 eggs (180 g, out of shell) at room temperature, beaten
- 1 cup fresh gluten free bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup (75 g) gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooked in vegetable stock according to package directions (I used red quinoa but it’s all the same aside from the obvious (color))
- 3 to 4 carrots, peeled and shredded (125 g)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ghee (or extra virgin olive oil), for frying
- Preheat your oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
- In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade, place the chopped shallot and garlic and pulse until finely minced. Add the garbanzo beans, the salt and the lemon juice, and pulse until mostly smooth. Add the eggs and pulse to combine. The mixture will have become relatively thin. Add the bread crumbs and rolled oats, and pulse until the mixture begins to come together. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, add the quinoa and shredded carrots, and mix to combine well. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator until the mixture thickens and becomes firmer (about 15 minutes or up to overnight).
- Remove the bowl from the refrigerator, uncover it, and, divide the mixture into 10 separate burger patties. Moisten hands with cool water as often as necessary to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands. Place each shaped patty on a paper towel and blot it dry.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a large, heavy-bottom saute pan over medium heat until the ghee is melted and begins to shimmer. Place as many patties in the pan as will fit without touching one another and fry until golden brown on the underside (about 3 minutes). Flip the patties and fry until golden brown on the other side (another 2 to 3 minutes). Remove the patties to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties, using the remaining ghee as necessary.
- Place the baking sheet with the burgers on it in the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until mostly firm to the touch. Serve warm.