- Foods to eat when trying to achieve healthy hair include salmon, sweet potato, walnuts, eggs, oysters, spinach, lentils, blueberries, poultry, and Greek yogurt.
One of the most important things to remember while choosing foods for healthy hair is that changes will be obvious only after some time. In the case of skin, change to a healthy lifestyle would be immediately reflected, while in the case of hair, one will have to wait for weeks and months to see the changes. The basis of using a diet to have long, thick hair is to have a healthy scalp and follicles. A well balanced diet with sufficient amounts of protein always helps in having radiant and thick hair.
Some of the foods that help in growth of the hair include:
- Salmon – These fishes are rich in proteins, vitamin D and essential fatty acids like omega-3 fatty acids. All three components are essential for growth of the hair while omega-3 fatty acids are needed to keep the scalp and hair well hydrated.
- Sweet potato – This root vegetable contain abundant beta-carotene, the precursor of vitamin A. It is essential for the production and maintenance of the protective oil layer in the scalp.
- Walnuts – These nuts are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, biotin and vitamin E all of which help in preventing hair loss, improve hair growth, maintain the natural color of the hair, and protect the hair from sun damage.
- Eggs – Apart from being rich in protein content, eggs also contain a good amount of minerals including zinc, selenium, sulfur and iron.
- Oysters – These organisms provide good amounts of protein and zinc, two nutrients which are very much needed for luxurious growth of hair.
- Spinach – Spinach helps in keeping hair healthy by providing a number of nutrients like iron, beta carotene, folate and vitamin C. These nutrients are needed for healthy growth of hair follicles and also for circulating the scalp oil in a more efficient way.
- Lentils – Proteins, zinc, iron and biotin are just some of the nutrients provided by lentils. They form one of the most ideal options for a healthy hair diet for both vegans and meat eaters.
- Blueberries – These small fruits support the blood vessels that help in circulation of blood to all follicles and play a very important role in circulation of blood to the scalp.
- Poultry – Needless to say, it provides adequate proteins along with zinc, iron and vitamin B.
- Greek yogurt – This is opted for it high protein content, and high levels of vitamin B 5 and vitamin D.