Many studies have shown that including more whole grains in one's diet helps to improve health in different ways.
Why do you need whole grains?
- Whole grains are digested slowly in our body, when compared to refined products. This regulates the release of sugar into blood. It helps to keep the levels of insulin and sugar down in the blood stream. Studies report that including more whole grains in the diet reduces the risk of diabetes.
- The effects of having whole grains to control cardiovascular disease is essential. Swapping refined products for whole grains helps to reduce levels of total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL cholesterol or ‘bad’ cholesterol), triglycerides, and even insulin. People who had two to three servings of whole grains had a substantially lower risk of diseases, including heart attack and stroke, and also lesser chances for by-pass surgeries.
- Some studies report that people who have about three servings of whole grains in a day have lower body-mass indexes (BMIs) when compared to those who do not have. This was particularly true of women. Furthermore, the risk of gaining weight over a period of few years was less in those who switched to whole grains in place of refined products.
- Metabolic syndrome is a condition that increases the risk of developing chronic diseases including diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Results of many studies indicates the risk of metabolic syndrome is lower in people who include more of fiber and nutrients through whole grains in their diet.
- Making whole grains a regular feature in your diet will help in reducing the risk of different types of cancer as well. This protection is provided by a number of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and other phytochemicals present in the whole products. These compounds are often removed during refining of the grains.
- Your digestive health also improves considerably with the inclusion of whole grains in the diet. The fiber content of the grains makes stool soft and bulky preventing constipation, one of the most common digestive problems. It also reduces the pressure inside the intestine lowering chances of diverticular diseases.