Baked eggs with roasted vegetables
From Diabetic Living, this recipe utilizes a wide variety of vegetables and the sharp taste of Manchego to really amp up breakfast.
- 3 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 inch in size)
- 12 ounces yellow potatoes, such as Yukon Gold, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 ounces Manchego cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl combine broccoli, yellow potatoes, sweet potato, onion, olive oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, tossing to coat vegetables.
- Spread vegetable mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Roast for 10 minutes. Stir vegetables; roast about 5 minutes more or until vegetables are tender and starting to brown. Remove from oven. Spread vegetables evenly in baking dish; cool. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 8 to 24 hours.
- Let chilled vegetables stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake vegetables, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from oven; make six wells in the layer of vegetables. Break an egg into each well. Bake for 5 minutes more. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until eggs whites are set and yolks are starting to thicken. Sprinkle with pepper.