Creole shrimp and grits
Put a spin on your everyday breakfast with this Creole-style shrimp and grits, from Diabetic Living.
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking yellow grits
- 12 ounces fresh asparagus, trimmed and bias-sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Creole seasoning
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Ground black pepper
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Prepare grits according to package directions. Cover and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook asparagus, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil for 4 to 5 minutes or just until vegetables are tender.
- Stir flour and Creole seasoning into vegetable mixture. Add chicken broth. Cook and stir just until bubbly; reduce heat. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook for 1 to 3 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, stirring once. Serve over grits. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Makes 4 (1 1/4 cup shrimp mixture and 1/2 cup grits) servings.