Time Tested Tips to Stay Lean
It is hard to know what tips really work and to decipher fact from fiction on the internet. The one thing that has and always will be good for you to lose and maintain weight is to incorporate as many fruits and vegetables as you can into your diet. Fruits and veggies are low in calories and are also a great source of fiber, which helps keep everything moving in your digestive tract.
When it comes to losing those extra pounds or flab from the body, it seems to be a tedious task. Carrying out all of those exercises and going on a diet can seem to be all good initially, but many people tend to slowly drift away from their target and go back to where they were initially. For some individuals, even after carrying out various dieting tips, the weight still remains the same; it just refuses to come down, or, for some people, their weight even starts to increase. All of these things can occur by following the wrong dieting guidelines. There are certain tips for dieting which never go out of style and are here to stay because they are the right tips and should be followed diligently:
- Avoid skipping breakfast: Breakfast is known to be the most important part of starting the day. Skipping any meal does not lead to weight loss, and when it comes to breakfast, one should never miss it since it will not help in any way to lose weight. Skipping out on your breakfast can lead to missing out on the essential nutrients that the body needs at the start of the day. Also, it may lead to snacking more throughout the day because the body starts to feel hungry and craves more food, so you may end up eating more instead of less. Add some healthy breakfast items instead; the best options are those which are high in protein and rich in fiber. Avoid the ones that are high in sugar or fat. A timely breakfast is known to efficiently maintain the brain’s cognitive functioning; after fasting the entire night, the body needs fuel to kick start the day.
- Get ample amounts of rest: Just as eating is important for our bodies, similarly, sleeping is also a very important component for the proper functioning of the body. Studies suggest that an individual should get at least six to eight hours of sleep every night. Getting to bed just thirty minutes early and also waking up only thirty minutes later than you normally do can help the body make wise food decisions. Apart from the food choices, a body that has gotten proper and ample amounts of rest is less prone to snacking throughout the day, and also, the body is not stressed out or fatigued.
- Keep yourself hydrated: Multiple studies have suggested that drinking water is closely linked with losing weight as well. Drinking water is known to increase the amount of calories the individual can burn. This is known to be the body’s resting energy expenditure. But this does not mean that one should go about drinking water just anytime of the day. An hour or so before meals, one glass of water is shown to be helpful since it makes the mind think that the stomach is now full, hence, you tend to eat less than the usual amount of food. Water as we all known is free from any kind of calories and, hence, it is said to be linked with a reduced caloric intake. This is because, instead of going in for other beverages that are high in calories or sugar, there is a tendency to drink water in their place.
- Eat plenty of fruits and veggies: Fruits are mostly known to not only contain water, they are in fact mostly water, and, hence, they make you feel full while leaving hardly any room for eating high-calorie food items. Do not become worried about the carb counts in fruits; most of the time, they are the good carbohydrates, which we are talking about, and they are known to contain a good deal of fiber, which is very healthy for the body. Similarly, with veggies, one can start to eat them raw after washing thoroughly, or they can be prepared in a little oil or healthy oil to get the maximum benefit out of them. When it comes to fruits, try to consume them in their raw form instead of drinking fruit juices or milkshakes since they have a tendency to be loaded with added sugar and turn into carbs.
- Avoid carbonated drinks and sodas: These soda drinks or carbonated items are known to be loaded with sugar and are high in caloric content. They mostly do not contain any essential nutrients, which are beneficial to the body. Hence, it is said that by stopping one’s intake of soda items, one can lose a lot of weight. Even if you consume just one soft drink in a day, it can still build up on your caloric content, hence, you should think how much weight you can lose just by eliminating that one soft drink from your daily diet. Nowadays, there are also diet sodas which are available for those watching their weight, and these are known to contain less amounts of calories than their non-diet counterparts. However, it would not help in any positive way to lose weight. When you drink diet sodas, it would mean that you are still having a taste for sweet flavors. Drinks that contain artificial sweeteners are also known to have an effect on the metabolism in such a way that they trigger a gain in weight.
- Avoid late night binging: Your ideal figure would be not just what you eat, but when or what time you eat. Dining early in the day instead of late at night can help you win the battle against fat or bulge. Here, it is very important to better understand the role of the body’s circadian system for weight gain or loss. However, after dining early, if you do feel hungry before bedtime, then an hour or half an hour before hitting the hay, you can eat one fruit or have a glass of milk. This would help you to stay full and also avoid snacking on any other fatty items.
- Use smaller plates: While having any meal or snack, be sure to take it on smaller plates since then you can have smaller portions of food at one time instead of larger portions. By making it a habit to use smaller plates or bowls, you would be able to gradually become used to consuming smaller portions of each meal and also not go hungry. For the stomach to communicate to the brain that it is now full, it takes a period of twenty minutes, so, try to eat slowly and chew properly while eating. Just before you feel full, you should stop eating. It is said that one should never eat more than their limit.
The above diet tips are something which an individual can follow since it is generalized advice and will never go out of style. However, if you are concerned about what should be eaten based on the nutritive value, then it is best to reach out to a nutritionist who can further assist you on exactly what has to be eaten at what part of the day. They would give you a diet chart taking into account various factors such as your age, any medical conditions you have, the severity of those medical conditions, and many other such factors.