- It helps in improving digestion.
- It can help to lose weight.
- only the root of the jicama is edible.
Jicama, also called the Mexican yam bean or Mexican turnip, is the name of a Mexican native vine. It is essentially a bean product formed from the flower of the Jicama. The flower usually has blue or white peddles and contain pods similar to Lima beans. These pods are mostly produced on plants that are fully developed.
Jicama is part of the legume family which grows on vines. They have a texture that is much like a turnip and a taste similar to apples. Jicama has edible peels which are thick and tough in texture. It also consists of the organic toxin rotenone, which are found in the vines and leaves.
Jicama Health Benefits
Jicama is a root vegetable which is low in calories and high in vital nutrients that the body requires. Apart from these nutrients, Jicama also has a very high fiber content.
Jicama contains high anti-oxidizing properties, which are used to oxidize the outer bacteria and viruses. Additionally, it is also good for asthma and certain types of fever. The following is some of the ways in which Jicama can benefit your health.
- Jicama contains a high amount of fiber in the root vegetable, which is useful for aiding digestive problems. They also contain dietary fibers which are essential to regulate the metabolism in the body. They regulate the intestines and the flow within them; therefore, improving digestion.
- The fiber content present in the Jicama is useful for controlling weight gain. It helps in removing excess fats and proteins which accumulate in the body as small pockets of protein.
- Jicama root vegetables can also treat heart problems to an extent. This vegetable contains various fibers that can help in increasing the hemoglobin content in the body. The fiber content present in the vegetable makes the blood arteries circulate blood properly in the body. Thus, it keeps a constant flow of blood and decreases the risk of heart problems and heart attacks.
- The anti-oxidizing properties found in Jicama help in oxidizing excess harmful substances in the body. This anti-oxidizing property is attributed to Vitamin C, which is plentiful in Jicama. This property also helps in delaying the aging of the skin and decreases the risk of hair loss.
- With the adequate content of Vitamins D and other nutrients that Jicama contains, it can make the new skin cells rise and remove the dead skin cells from the body. Various other skin problems can be treated just by putting the mesh of the Jicama on our face daily.
- Jicama is known for preventing capillary damage in our bodies. The capillary is the smallest portion of the respiratory system in the body. The body breathes in air which is then taken into these small capillaries. The function of the capillaries is to take the useful portion of the oxygen and other important constituents. When these capillaries become damaged, our body’s functionality is greatly affected, leading to severe problems such as nausea. With the proper intake of Jicama, the body can thread out those damaged capillaries.
- Asthma problems are on the rise due to the increase of pollution in our environment. However, Jicama can help in reducing these asthma problems. Jicama has certain proteins which help in the construction of damaged alveoli. Thus, making the circulatory system in the body durable enough to postpone asthma problems.
- Jicama is also used to decrease various types of fever. They provide certain proteins that decrease the effects of fever in the body.
Jicama Weight Loss
The jicama vegetable contains a lot of benefits for human health. It contains various proteins and nutrients which are responsible for the numerous benefits that it provides us. One such benefit of the Jicama vegetable is that it is very useful in weight loss.
People will go to great lengths to achieve their target weight. Sometimes, they will even try dangerous or unhealthy methods to shed the pounds. Jicama provides a healthy way of achieving a tone and fit body without going to extremely unhealthy measures to achieve it.
Some of the benefits which can be reaped from this weight loss are mentioned below:
Reduced Risk of Diabetes
After losing a large chunk of fat from the body, there is a reduced risk of diabetes. Diabetes is a problem that occurs due to an increased sugar content in the body. This increase in sugar content adversely affects different parts of the body, like the kidneys, and other circulatory systems.
The main cause behind the diabetes problem is weight gain problems. With weight loss, all these problems can be put to an end.
Gaining Productive Health
Weight loss can assist in gaining productive health. Our bodies are comprised of various components that each have their own function. The function for each of these parts demands some quickness and flexibility in the body.
This flexibility can be easily acquired by losing weight. Shedding excess fats from the body can help in gaining a flexible body which can perform productive exercises like jogging, exercise, and other daily endeavors that can bring productive changes in the body.
Prevention of Malicious Diseases
Weight loss can help in preventing various malicious diseases such as obesity, cancers, and other similar diseases.
Often, most harmful diseases originate in the stomach. Thus, by maintaining the stomach functions well and avoiding excessive fats around the stomach, an individual can greatly reduce their risk of malicious diseases.
Achieving a fit and slim body can improve an individual’s self-esteem. Our appearance plays a major role in how we feel about ourselves. If an individual is unhappy with their weight, their personality and self-esteem can be deeply affected. Thus, one of the major benefits of weight loss is an improved self-esteem and a newfound confidence in oneself.
Using jicama can improve your overall health in many ways. However, it is very important to remember that only the root of the jicama is edible; the rest of this plant is highly toxic. Do not consume the leaves, seed pods, or vines of the jicama.