Dr. Michael Ein MD is a top Infectious Disease Specialist in Concord, . With a passion for the field and an unwavering commitment to their specialty, Dr. Michael Ein MD is an expert in changing the lives of their patients for the better. Through their designated cause and expertise in the field, Dr. Michael Ein MD is... more
Friends and relatives often ask me my recommendations for a healthy life. I have been a physician for 45 years, an internist, and infectious disease specialist. This is a list of my health recommendations:
- Do not smoke and quit if you do.
- Drink alcohol in moderation, no more than 1 - 1 1/2 drinks per day.
- Do at least moderate exercise for 45 minutes at least 3 times per week.
- Protect your knees (lower back, hips, and feet). The old expression “the knees go first” has been true, at least for me.
- Have good dental hygiene. Brush twice a day, floss nightly and have your teeth cleaned twice a year.
- Have your doctor make sure your cholesterol and blood pressure are at the current recommended levels.
- Get your weight as close to the ideal weight as possible.
- Eat and drink foods high in antioxidants, such as berries, teas, dark chocolate, purple grape and pomegranate juices, etc.
- Avoid partially hydrogenated trans-fats like the plague. Avoid processed sugars and high fructose corn syrup. Do eat healthy omega-3 fats from walnuts, flax seeds and many species of fish.
- Take probiotics, which are increasingly being proven to have many health benefits (I use VSL#3 or Visbiome in a cup of yogurt daily).
- Get a job you enjoy doing and that you do well.
- Get a partner that you love.
- Let go of anger (this is one I preach but have difficulty practicing).
- Use sunscreen and avoid sun exposure.
- Have your doctor arrange all recommended preventative tests ie. PAP smears, mammography, colonoscopies etc.
- Get all recommenced vaccines and yearly influenza shots.
- Get 7-8 hours of restful sleep each night.
- Thank your parents if they gave you good genes; if not, thank them anyway if they loved you and raised you well.