The Vein Treatment Clinic is a practice with Pain Management Specialists in New York, NY. With a passion for the field and an unwavering commitment to their specialty, they are experts in changing the lives of their patients for the better. Through their designated cause and expertise in the field, they are a prime example... more
The surgical method consists of eliminating the affected veins by cutting them between two ligatures, which are made by their ends, and removing them by pulling. This spider vein treatment poses several problems, mainly because it requires general anesthesia and the aesthetic results are not very good. The treatment may also cause bruising and pain, and may also return to affect other veins.
Sclerotherapy involves irritating the inner walls of the vein. In this treatment, the vein closes on its own, remaining sclerotic, as a scarred cord with no blood inside it and practically invisible.
You must also keep in mind that not all varicose veins can be treated with these techniques.
Sclerosis can be achieved in two ways:
- Chemical sclerosis: chemical substances that produce sclerosis are introduced into the veins. Liquid and form substances can be used to cause sclerosis. Liquid substances are introduced to irritate the wall of the vein to cause sclerosis, while foam substances are used to increase the surface contact. Foam substances are used in small quantities.
- Physical sclerosis: sclerosis of the vein is produced by using physical methods, such as light or radio waves, that literally burn it, making the veins disappear.
Cryosclerosis is another method where the substance cooled to a degree below 0, which increases its ability to irritate the endothelium. This method is considered a mixed method, as it is both chemical and physical.
Laser or otosclerosis?
A laser is a ray of light that emits a single color. The cells that have the same color would absorb its energy, heat up, and be destroyed because of the high temperature. This destruction does not affect the surrounding tissues. In laser treatments done by a varicose vein doctor, they heat up red blood cells.
Different ways of applying the laser:
- Surface laser: applied from the outside, through the skin. It is mainly used to treat varicose veins, spider veins and small superficial veins. This is used on people with dark skin, those who have anticoagulants, and those who scar easily.
- Endolaser: a thin optical fiber is inserted into the vein by the top varicose vein doctor, which closes the affected vein.
- Photodynamic therapy: this is a technique where the external laser is combined with chemical sclerosis, increasing the effectiveness of the laser.
Radio waves are introduced into the vein and catheter with two poles, which eventually close the vein. This method cannot be used on very tortuous veins.