Dr. Rohit Mehta is a top Cardiologist in Phoenix, Arizona. With a passion for the field and an unwavering commitment to their specialty, Dr. Rohit Mehta is an expert in changing the lives of their patients for the better. Through their designated cause and expertise in the field, Dr. Rohit Mehta is a prime example of a... more
Depression is a medical condition which can plague any person at any age, despite how healthy the person is. The condition not only affects mental health but also, physical ability. Depression is a mental concern which can create issues in every aspect of life.
Sadness, disappointment, and stress are experienced by most people at some point in their life, but cannot be considered depression. However, if these situations become persistent for longer duration and starts affecting the mental health of a person, a psychologist should be consulted.
There can be various causes of depression and some of them cannot be avoided. The causes of depression are different for different people. Some people are genetically vulnerable and others find their job stressful. Death of a close one, loss in business or some spontaneous unexpected event can also lead to a state of depression.
Due to depression, people are forced to leave their work, school, and college, and may even cut back from their social circle and distance themselves from their family. Lack of energy, avoiding social gatherings, difficulty in concentration, low libido, increased alcohol consumption, not taking interest in jobs, and low self-confidence are some of the common symptoms observed in people who are depressed. An employer should focus to keep employees healthy and mentally fit.
Depression is a disease like any other physical medical condition and by taking proper care, it can be cured. Some of the steps which have been proven to be beneficial for people suffering from depression are mentioned below:
1. Exercise every day: Exercising every day should be in your daily routine. It may include a brisk walk of 15 to 25 minutes or any physical activity of choice such as jogging, biking, dancing, etc. There may be situations when you may not be willing to go out, so ask a friend of yours to motivate you at times. Once exercise is included in your daily routine, the change in mood will be evident.
Apart from physical exercise, an individual can also practice yoga, as there are different yoga poses that help in relaxing the mind and bringing balance to life. These yoga poses can be found easily on the internet. Mediation can also help a person regain their mental peace and overcome depression by adjusting the brain’s activity from the anxiety-prone right font cortex to the calmer left side. This helps in increasing concentration, memory power, and cognition abilities.
2. Talk Therapy: Talking to loved ones is sometimes the best therapy a depressed person can get. It has been proven efficient when compared to medication. This type of therapy may include CBT, talking to a stranger, a counselor, family or friends.
There are also support groups which consist of people who have overcome depression or are in the phase of overcoming their depression. This helps a depressed person to learn how to cope with certain situations and encourage them to fight off the depression.
3. Sleep: Sleep has a significant effect on a person’s mind and body. Sometimes, not getting enough sleep can unbalance the biological cycle and disrupt the mental peace. Insomnia is also one of the symptoms of depression. Thus, it is advisable to get proper sleep for good mental health. If an individual is unable to fall sleep, the following changes should be included in daily life rather than going for sleeping pills:
- Maintaining a bedtime schedule
- Use of electronic devices should be avoided before going to bed
- Meditate or indulge in breathing yoga involving the movement of the abdomen should be practiced
- Prefer reading a book before going to sleep
- Relax in a quiet place if struggling to sleep
4. Manage stress: It is a proven fact that stress causes a negative impact on both mental health and physical health. An individual can get depressed due to stress. Also, stress can act as a catalyst in making the situation worse.
Family life, work, academic life, and relationships are some of the factors which contribute to stress. It is important to manage and address the issue at the early stages if needed.
5. Food: Food is the basic requirement of the body for its normal functioning. An individual may lose mental health balance because of an insufficient amount of nutrition, vitamins, and proteins. An individual suffering from depression should make the following changes in food habits to avoid a relapse of the condition. An individual is also advised to maintain health and healthy diets.
- Eating fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Food containing proteins such as fish, eggs, poultry, tryptophan, and spinach.
- Avoid consumption of packaged food, processed meat, cakes, and cookies.
- Consumption of fish or omega-3 supplement at least twice a week.
- Caffeinated drinks such as soda and coffee should be avoided.
- Drink a minimum of 6-8 glasses of water a day.
- Maintain healthy diets and healthy habits.
6. Consult a doctor: If your symptoms are persistent, a doctor should be consulted and the ongoing problems should be discussed. There are various kind of depression and only a doctor can help you find out the exact type. To treat a problem, the root of the problem should be known, and only a psychologist can help to reach there.
A therapist can recommend some important steps to include in your daily routine which can help to regain stability.
A person suffering from depression should talk to the right person about the issue. Also, a depressed person should avoid negative thoughts and avoid isolation as it may worsen the situation.
Involving in a fun activity, accepting a challenge, or watching a comedy TV show are some activities that a depressed person should engage in to deviate the mind.