Dr. Afsoon Gerayli is a Dentist practicing in Reseda, California. Dr. Gerayli specializes in preventing, diagnosing, and treating diseases and conditions associated with the mouth and overall dental health. Dentists are trained to carry out such treatment as professional cleaning, restorative, prosthodontic, and endodontic... more
What You Need to Know About Dental Implants
For great cosmetic dentistry services, Tarzana dentist, Afsoon Gerayli, provides natural dental implants that are easy to manage and can last a lifetime. When choosing the best implants, you may want to keep in mind the following tips:
- Strength and Durability: Optimal dental implants can restore your function if you've lost teeth without feeling "fake" or obstructing your speech. A sturdy implant is one that will stay in place but still feel as natural as possible.
- Longevity: Implants are meant to last your lifetime, so they are built differently from dental bridges, which only last several years. The material (as well as everyday wear-and-tear) play important factors in how long your implants will remain healthy and issue-free.
- Feel and Comfort: A great dental implant will feel natural and move naturally with your speech so you don’t have to worry about any insecurities of appearance. Dentures are sometimes inconvenient, and can cause discomfort, so it is easier to feel self-conscious with them versus an implant.
- Appearance: Unlike dentures, implants do not change your smile or face shape. Because they fill in any gaps in your jawbone, it sometimes promotes natural bone growth, which does not cause shifting or deterioration.
- No Daily Removal Necessary: Because dentures require overnight soaking and cleaning, they need to be removed at night. Implants are easy to clean and care for since they are as good as your natural teeth.
- Speech and Motor Functions: Implants will not interfere with speech or eating the way dentures can, so you function as naturally as possible. Dentures can come off while eating or talking so opting for an implant may be a better fit if this is a concern.
- Longterm Health: Even though implants still require tender loving care, you don't have to worry about getting any cavities since they are artificial. Despite this, though, it is still wise to care for your implants (and natural teeth) as well as possible. Implants can also protect your teeth since they do not require the same grinding process bridges require. Because implants are in the jawbone, they can also prevent natural teeth from shifting.
- Repair and Restoration: Implants are also easy to restore and repair, which cuts down on any unanticipated issues or damage. It is important, though, to take super great care of them as implant replacement isn't an ideal situation.
What You Need to Know About Porcelain Veneers
Although there are tons of advertisements prompting us to achieve perfect smile, a lot of the time these are done with the help of porcelain veneers. And, while you may feel like getting the same procedure done, it is important to note that veneers can be a hit or miss. When searching for the top dentist in Los Angeles, you may want to ask about what veneers are and how they work.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Unlike dental implants or dentures, veneers go over natural teeth. Dentists shape thin pieces of porcelain and mold them to fit, and can be made of resin or other durable materials. The point of a veneer is to superficially change the size, shape and color of your natural teeth and are most often used in cases of discoloration due to a root canal or filling; chipped or irregularly shaped teeth; or teeth with large gaps.
Porcelain Veneers can usually last over a decade before needing replacement, and the cost is usually less than $2,000. But, because it is a cosmetic procedure, it is unlikely to be covered by insurance. If you decide that veneers are the right fit for your, Tarzana dentist, Afsoon Gerayli, can help you decide what kind of veneer is right for you.
Porcelain veneers are typically expensive, but considered to provide the most natural look. Usually they are custom fit for your natural teeth and are bonded using a special cement and light. Composite veneers are kind of like porcelain veneers in where they provide a natural look, but is sometimes made with filling material. Composite veneers usually fix minor gaps or chips, but do not last as long.
Instant veneers are definitely a faster solution, as these are pre-molded and applied the same day. Instant veneers may be more affordable but are harder to match to natural teeth because they are not customized. Removable veneers are new and a mix of porcelain and instant veneers. They are a bit better than instant veneers because they are are customized to match and can be removed. Since this is the least expensive option, however, they are not ideal for longterm solutions.
Veneers are great because of the confidence boost you may get from them. More importantly, however, veneers can make any smile brighter, which may also encourage overall tooth and mouth health. Veneers do not change color over time, while your natural teeth will, and you may need to schedule regular visits with your dentist. Because porcelain is the most delicate of the options, veneers are also susceptible to chipping and cracking, and are not recommended for people bite their nails or grind their teeth, for example.
While natural teeth may still decay underneath a veneer, this can cause issues that will require root canals and crowns. Veneers are not recommended if you have an existing history of weak enamel or other deterioation dental issues so this happens to be your situation, a Reseda dentist like Dr. Afsoon Gerayli can help you find appropriate options.
What Is the Process?
If veneers are your choice, the entire procedure can take no longer than a visit to your dentist. Your provider will take X-rays and impressions of your teeth, and are typically ready for wear within two to four weeks. You can wear temporary veneers if needed while awaiting your permanent pair. Applying the veneer requires about one millimeter of enamel removed from your teeth, which is much less than what is needed to remove for a filling. Your dentist with clean and polish your tooth, then etched to for the adhesive to bond, and then apply a cement to the veneer and on your tooth. It is then finished with an ultraviolet light.
The first step is to visit Dr. Afsoon Gerayli for an consultation where she will assess your teeth make recommendations. You will also need to come in for a follow up appointment a few weeks after application for any adjustments but the time and maintenance for your beautiful smile, in the long run, are worth it.