An Accredited Member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society, Julie Graduated with distinctions from S.A. College of Botanic Medicine and Natural Therapies Pty Ltd. Professional Qualifications include: Naturopathic Doctor, Herbal & Homoeopathic Practitioner: Diet and Nutritional Medicine: Remedial & Therapeutic... more
Happy, healthy thriving children is vitally important for a healthy, thriving future!
Are our children becoming deprived from learning about everyday living skills, social skills and experiences?
In this article, I would like to share with you the lack of exposure our children are having to a major fundamental foundation for life. This being nature and, what seems to be apparent, he lack of exposure to nature. This is now being referred to as "Nature Deficit Disorder".
Take a look at three of the main ways we learn:
- Auditory, where we hear – not just from people but from nature.
- Visual, what we see – this may be from watching someone else do something, books we read, watching things on TV, movies, videos, etc.
- Kinesthetic, what we feel and touch – this can also be from what we experience from our emotional feelings. From Nature we learn feelings of peace, comfort and uniformity.
For each person to thrive in their life, it is important that they are exposed to all three of the above-mentioned areas.
It has been well documented that:
- Animals don’t thrive in an enclosed environment they merely exist.
- Children don’t thrive from just being in classrooms. They merely learn academic basics and many children switch off outside of the classroom.
- Over exposure to TV, social media and the internet decreases their mental ability to think for themselves and depletes their imagination.
Getting back to being mature is an important place to start.