An Accredited Member of the Australian Traditional Medicine Society, Julie Graduated with distinctions from S.A. College of Botanic Medicine and Natural Therapies Pty Ltd. Professional Qualifications include: Naturopathic Doctor, Herbal & Homoeopathic Practitioner: Diet and Nutritional Medicine: Remedial & Therapeutic... more
Probably not unlike you, I too have found it somewhat interesting coming off bread. For times you just want an easy snack. Yet, I didn’t want to go back to eating wheat and gluten commercially baked breads due to the stomach and digestive problems they were causing. To buy paleo or other grain, seeded, sprouted, and individually made breads were so expensive. Looking up a paleo recipe for bread myself, I thought it looked so easy. However, I did find it necessary to adapt it as the quantities didn’t seem to come out right as I was making my first loaf.
One of the things I liked about the cooking of paleo bread is that you do not have to knead it, wait for it to rise, or use any form of yeast. It's as easy as cooking a cake. You simply mix all of the ingredients together, put it into a greaseproof tin, and within half an hour you have a yummy, wheat-free, gluten and dairy-free loaf of bread to eat. Enjoy your favorite sandwich fillings, or toppings such as avocado, smoked salmon, and poached eggs.
I use chickpea and rice flour as they have great benefits for your health.
Health Benefits of Chickpea Flour
- High Fiber - lowers the risk of diabetes, balances cholesterol levels, reduces hypertension, decreases risk of heart attack and stroke, helping to improve metabolism, obesity, and colon cancer.
- Gluten-Free - the benefits of reducing gluten or going gluten-free with your diet include improved digestion, improved immune function, reduced inflammation, improved energy, and a reduction in mood swings.
Health Benefits of Rice Flour
- Great source of vitamins including – Zinc, B vitamins, providing immune support and helping in reducing inflammation.
- High in Fiber - together with almond flour, and yogurt contributes to healthy bones and prevention of osteoporosis.
- Promotes Healthy Liver and Digestion - assists with weight management, and other healthy digestive processes.
- Gluten-Free together with your Chickpea flour - supports improved immune function, energy, and a reduction in mood swings.
Together with other healthy dietary and lifestyle changes, replacing wheat and gluten based flours with these will reduce your risk of cancer and associated digestive diseases.
Ground pine nuts, almond slivers, cashews, and pumpkin seeds are all healthy sources of additional protein, essential vitamins, and minerals.
Let’s Get Mixing
Before you start, light your oven to 200 degrees.
- 1 cup of Chickpea Flour.
- 1 cup of Rice Flour.
- 1 cup of Ground Nuts of choice – I use approximately a tablespoon of each – pine nuts, almond slivers, cashews, and pumpkin seeds. I use a mortar and pestle to grind them, but if you want them finer use a food processor.
- 1 cup of Pumpkin seeds or sesame seeds or flaxseeds to put on top of mixture after you have put it into the baking dish.
- ½ cup of Flaxseed meal.
- 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda.
- 3 eggs whisk before adding to the mixture.
- 6 tablespoons of Plain Greek Yogurt.
- 2 tablespoons of Cold Pressed Olive Oil.
- 2 tablespoons of Organic Coconut Oil.
- 2 teaspoons of pure natural Vanilla Essence.
- ½ cup of Almond or Coconut Milk.
- 2 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar.
[For variety you can add ½ cup of any of these –grated carrot, grated zucchini, grated pumpkin]
- Mix dry ingredients together including nut mix and any grated vegetables.
- Mix with a spatula or in a food processor.
- Gradually add beaten eggs, Yogurt, Oils, Vanilla essence, Coconut or Almond milk, and Apple Cider Vinegar.
Pour mixture into a non-stick baking tin, slightly grease with a little olive oil. Sprinkle mixture with seeds of your choice as mentioned above. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown, you can check if it's cooked by spiking it with a metal skewer that you have slightly heated over a gas flame or electric burner. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for one week.
Pikelets make a great alternative to bread. Click on the image for this Yummy Recipe for Gluten-Free Pikelets. Healthy Eating is Happy Eating Because You & Your Family are Worth it! Click on the Image to Purchase & Download your Copy!
In this EBook – You will learn
How to make “Food Your Best Friend” “Not Your Worst Enemy”