1. Make sure the pacemaker site has been checked at least one month following implantation and that it has healed properly and is functioning normally.
2. You should know the upper limit of the heart rate setting in your case.
3. In most cases, the upper limit is 120/minute.
4. When you exercise, check your heart rate via a very reliable system during exercise.
5. As soon as it reaches 120, that is the limit. Do not ever try to go beyond it unless you are in your cardiologist's office and he is monitoring you at that time.
6. In a few patients who are not completely pacemaker dependent, exceptions can be made by the cardiologist as their own heart can increase the rate safely and properly.
7. I have a patient who has completed a marathon (>26 miles) after pacemaker implantation.
Best of luck.