Forgetfulness is not normal. It may be due to a number of causes, either temporary or permanent.
1. Emotional disorders - depression, anxiety, stress, sleep deprivation
2. Medical conditions - thyroid disease, brain tumors, concussion, head injuries, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, dementia, Vitamin B12 deficiency
3. Medications - side effects of certain medications, or over-dosage may result in forgetfulness
4. Lifestyle habits - excessive alcohol intake and or smoking
5. Aging - not all people of advanced age will go through this though
Some of these causes can be reversed or managed to improve memory, for instance, emotional disorders, lifestyle habits, medications and some medical conditions. I advise you to consult your doctor as soon as possible to discuss the possible causes of your persistent forgetfulness.
H. Sekhukhune, MD