Marielaina Perrone DDS is a family, implant, and cosmetic dentist serving Las Vegas, Summerlin, and Henderson, NV. Dental services include dental implants, teeth whitening, orthodontics, Botox, and treatment of periodontal disease. "We believe in a comprehensive approach to restorative and cosmetic dentistry, that fully... more
Dental implants allow dentists to easily replace missing teeth and to restore smiles to their natural appearance. For individuals who need a more extensive tooth replacement, dentures have been the traditional option. Traditional dentures come with many compromises, including, an imperfect fit, oral sores from ill fitting dentures, along with the decreased ability to enjoy your favorite foods. Fortunately, newer techniques have been developed that can prevent these issues and give you a natural looking and feeling smile. This newer technique is called all on 4 dental implants or all on 4 dentures. This dental technique allows for 4 dental implants to be placed in strategic locations to provide support and stability to a denture.
All On 4 Dental Implants Procedure
The All on 4 Dental Implants procedure was developed in the 1990′s by researchers at the dental implant manufacturer, Nobel Biocare. The all on 4 dental implants system has allowed many patients who were not ideal candidates previously, to have more options for a fixed denture. The All on 4 Dental Implants technique uses four specially designed dental implants on the upper or lower arch, or both. The dental implants towards the back of the mouth are placed on an angle to take optimal advantage of the patient’s existing bone structure. These custom designed dental implants have the ability to support the immediate fitting of replacement teeth.
This treatment is ideal for those who are unhappy with wearing a removable denture or in need of full upper and/or lower restorations. With the All on 4 dental implants procedure, qualified patients will receive four dental implants and a full set of new upper or lower replacement teeth in only one appointment. This can usually be done without the need for dental bone grafts. The real benefit to the all on 4 dental implants procedure is how quickly the permanent dental implants can be placed. This allows patients the ability to leave the same day with a denture that is fixed in place and stabilized by dental implants.
Traditionally, the approach to restoring a full arch of teeth (upper or lower) usually involved dental bone grafts. This included six or more dental implants, and as much as 18 months of treatment. During that time, the patient would be wearing an interim denture while the dental bone grafts and dental implants heal and integrate into the bone. This can be very expensive, time consuming and uncomfortable for a patient, to have to continuously go back for treatment.
Benefits Of All On 4 Dental Implants
- Proven Procedure. The All On 4 Dental Implants procedure is more than a decade old, with over a 98% success rate.
- Immediate Results. Patients experience a dramatic improvement in their chewing ability, teeth stability, and overall comfort immediately. Since the dentures are placed the same day as the dental implants, the benefits are usually immediate.
- Stability. Unlike traditional dentures, All-on-4 dentures are supported by dental implants and are not removable. Since they are secured by implants, they fit more securely and do not have the ability to shift around in the mouth like traditional dentures.
- Improved Cosmetic Appearance. The ability to restore your facial features and remove some wrinkles around the mouth.
- Minimal Recovery Time. The procedure generally requires a minimal recovery time.
- Convenience. The All on 4 dental implants technique is usually completed in a minimum of two visits. You will leave the office with a beautiful new smile, the same day!
- Ability To Enjoy All Foods. All-on-4 dentures restores a person's full chewing functioning, so your diet is no longer limited by impaired chewing. An all on 4 denture will increase biting force by as much as 70% or more compared to a traditional removable denture.
- Maintain Existing Bone Levels. Dental implants can help prevent further bone loss.
- Increased Self-Confidence. Missing teeth can take from a person’s self-confidence. Besides an improved quality of life, many patients find that restoring the aesthetics of their smile improves their self-esteem and makes them feel less self-conscious about their teeth. You will feel more confident when smiling, speaking, and eating. You will look better and you will feel better.
- Denture Adhesives. They are not needed to keep the denture in place.
The All on 4 denture procedure restores the quality of life for many patients. If you are unhappy with your current denture or think you might be a candidate, see your dentist for a thorough evaluation. Taking this first step could lead to a new smile and new possibilities in life.