Healthy Heart

Specialists Who Treat Erectile Dysfunction

Specialists Who Treat Erectile Dysfunction

What Specialists Treat Erectile Dysfunction?

Erectile dysfunction is a condition that can be brought about by a number of factors. Depending on the underlying cause of the disease, you may have to seek out various treatment options from different doctors or specialists.

Choosing the right doctor to treat erectile dysfunction

In case you experience erection difficulties, the first doctor you can visit may be a general health care practitioner, your personal doctor, or a doctor who may be treating you for other conditions such as heart disease. These physicians can help analyze your situation and then based on the results of your assessment, they can refer you to the relevant professionals.

If the condition is caused by problems such as stress or anxiety, for example, your doctor may refer you to a psychologist. If it is be due to physical factors such as injury, then you may be referred to a urologist. Urologists are doctors that have specialized training in the treatment and health of the male organs.

Conditions such as atherosclerosis, diabetes mellitus, and heart disease can result in erectile dysfunction. When this is the case, you will have visit specialists who manage the conditions in order to get treated. These professionals can be recommended to you by your primary doctor.

Be honest and don't withhold information

The most important thing that you should always remember is that there is privacy between you and your doctor. There is no need to be embarrassed or ashamed. Under no circumstance should you withhold any details about your condition from your doctor. Be open and honest and try to give the doctor as many details as possible. You can also involve your partner in the exercise.

If you are already getting treatment for other conditions such as diabetes mellitus, make sure that your doctor is aware of such treatments. This is important because it may help the doctor analyze any medications that you are taking, which may be causing the underlying problem. It will also help in choosing the medical treatment for your condition based on your health status.

What other doctors should I see?

There are many treatments for ED and your doctor will help you in choosing the one that will work best for you. You may also need to see a sex therapist or a psychologist as you progress with your treatment. These professionals will help you deal with problems that result from erectile dysfunction such as stress or emotional imbalances.

They can also offer counseling to your partners and it is therefore crucial that both of you go for such sessions. This will help the two of you to deal with the problem and avoid complications in your relationship. If your partner leaves you, you should go for counseling to manage the emotions of going through such an event.

The Bottom Line

Erectile dysfunction is a health condition that can affect anyone. It is important to speak up and get advice from your doctor on managing ED. Partners of the patients should also offer their full support and understanding for their situation.

Spouses or significant others should help in the patient's recovery by encouraging them to opt for therapy sessions. The affected should also be honest and open with their partners or close people that they trust, as this will make a huge difference in the emotional impact of managing and treating ED.