Sleep apnea can be managed with the help of a CPAP, short for continuous positive airway pressure therapy. But, according to the National Jewish Health organization, over 20 million people in America were diagnosed with this condition, and yet roughly half of that population doesn’t utilize the prescribed CPAP mask, which can help in preventing their airways open during night time.
With that, Mark Aloia, Ph.D., a well-known sleep expert from National Jewish Health, decided to lead a research. In this research, he and his team let the participants watch themselves while trying to sleep without a CPAP mask. At first, participants were truly amazed by what was happening; however, most of them didn't believe that they were doing such things. But when these people were showed footage from their own sleep and had seen the effects, they were shocked. They were successful in waking up the sense of urgency to alter their behaviors and habits. What is Dr. Aloia’s main objective, here? Primarily, he pursues this to increase awareness towards sleep apnea, which is considered as one of the most ignored disorders.
What is Sleep Apnea Exactly?
Sleep apnea is a sleeping condition that is characterized by having pauses in the breathing process in a person during sleep. In some instances, it is also characterized by infrequent breathing every sleeping time. The pause in breathing is called the apnea. Apnea can last for a couple of seconds to minutes that can occur 5 times in one hour.
People at Risk of Sleep Apnea
There is no exclusive group of people who can experience sleep apnea. Both adults and children can experience it. Most of the people who are prone in experiencing this kind of sleeping disorder are those people who are male, over 40 years old, obese and overweight. The risk is also on that person who has a large size of the neck which is greater than from 16 to 17 inches, a jaw bone that is small, an enlarged tongue and tonsils, allergies, problems in the sinus, as well as those people who have a family history of having sleep apnea. Moreover, people who are smokers have three times the risk as compared to those people who do not smoke.
Three Types of Sleep Apnea
1. Obstructive Sleep Apnea: It is the most common type of a sleep apnea. When the soft tissues found in the back of the throat are relaxing during the sleep time of a person, the airway is being blocked that causes a person to snore out loud.
2. Central Sleep Apnea: It is a least common type of sleep apnea. It involves the center of the nervous system wherein the brain fails to give a signal to the muscle that results in the control of breathing. Those people who have this central sleep apnea are those people who seldom snore.
3. The Complex Sleep Apnea: The Complex Sleep Apnea is a kind of sleep apnea that has the combination of the central sleep apnea and obstructive sleep apnea.
Signs that an Individual has Sleep Apnea:
- Pauses occur every time you will snore
- Sleeping during the silent moments of a day
- Having morning headaches
- Not having concentration in the learning and memory process
- Feeling depressed and irritable
- Having swings in the mood or changes in the personality
- Frequent moments of waking up
- Having a sore throat and dry mouth every time you wake up
- Loud snoring
- Adapting strange position in sleeping
- Suffering from bed wetting
- Perspiring excessively at night
Why use CPAP?
Since snoring is one of the most obvious signs of having sleep apnea, a lot of people are seeking a remedy for it. Experts understand that it can affect and give a problem in the relationship of couples every time that they are going to sleep. That is why the CPAP has been invented in order to prevent a loud sound of snores coming out from your mouth.
Based on the National Heart, Lung, Blood Institute, CPAP has been documented as one of the best treatments, which utilizes mild air pressure. By doing so, you can maintain your breathing ways open at all times. Additionally, it’s packed with a mask along with other devices.
If your sleep is being interrupted every night, you can have the capacity to feel drowsiness during the whole day. That is why those people who have sleep apnea are those people who are at risk of car accidents, as well as not being productive in the workplace. It also contributes to less productivity in school for those children who are suffering from this sleeping disorder. Aside from that, they can also acquire other health problems because of not having enough sleep. For those people who have this kind of sleeping disorder, it is necessary to have medication. The use of CPAP is a big step in treating sleep apnea.
Why Choose the Right Pillow?
Everyone knows that your day will be complete, especially if you have quality sleep. But a person might be grumpy or easily get irritated if he or she doesn’t get enough sleep. To ensure you get a nice sleep at night, it is also important to use the right pillow for your sleeping position. It is recommended that you purchase the best CPAP pillow. This pillow helps sleep apnea patients to have a comfortable sleep by increasing the therapy experience. This is most recommended for back and side sleepers.
CPAP Pillows: The Bright Side
The CPAP pillow has been created to give better support for CPAP users. More and more of this kind have been flooding the online market. This just clearly shows that many people wanted to have good quality sleep.
Why should you purchase one? To give you a clearer view of this sleeping buddy, here are the following advantages:
- This pillow does not get easily flat, unlike any ordinary pillow.
- It is made from a resilient and comfortable material, which is best suited for back and side sleepers.
- It comes in a wide array of sizes, styles, and shapes.
- It also comes in indentation feature in which it allows space for a better sleeping position.
- Pillow CPAP gives the proper support for both neck and head.
- It lessens the pressure on the face with the use of the CPAP mask.
- It gives greater way for the effectiveness of the CPAP machine.
- It improves the proper alignment for airways and your spine.
- It also prevents side, neck, and back from stiffness.
- It is easy to wash just like washing your linens or clothes.
Sleep apnea may not be as immediately severe as other terminal diseases like cancer, but it can greatly affect our health if we choose to overlook its symptoms. Hence, at first sign of bad sleeping experience, you must find time to observe and document your sleep to help doctors and health professionals diagnose your condition correctly. Although self-diagnosis is greatly discouraged, you can still prevent serious health problems if you can monitor your health in real time.
- Sleep apnea is a sleeping condition that is characterized by having pauses in the breathing process in a person during sleep.
- Patients who saw video of what it looks like when someone sleeps with the condition were urgent to treat their condition.
- The CPAP pillow has been created to give better support for CPAP users.