11. Use relaxation techniques
- Relaxation techniques do wonders for coping with pain. Try deep breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation or visualization.
- Deep breathing exercises include breathing in slowly and deeply through your nose. Count to five. Hold the air in your lungs for a count of one and then breathe out slowly through your mouth. Count to five.
- Progressive muscle relaxation means tightening and then relaxing body parts one at a time. Start at your head and move on down to your feet.
- Meditation links you to focus on the present moment. Think calmly and without anxiety. Quiet your mind and relax your muscles.
- Visualization is taking a trip to somewhere else. Use all your senses to experience a different place as thoroughly as possible.
- Try yoga, massage, listening to music or just pray.
- The more you use coping strategies, the more they will work. Try different things that might help you. Change them up if you need to and be flexible.