A Couple's Guide to Fibromyalgia
While it isn’t as well-known throughout the health communities, healthcare professionals are continually finding ways to better treat those with fibromyalgia on any level. Couples can face even more issues after going through conversations and talking through what this disease is bringing between them. Talking about the relationship and issues within the relationship is critical. While it might come down to therapy or other healthcare options, finding ways to get better sleep could solve quite a few problems, albeit serious issues should always be addressed. If only one partner suffers from fibromyalgia, getting the other partner to understand could be quite the issue over time. Although treatment has certainly improved over the past few years, getting enough factual information is of great importance. There are certainly many doctors that do not understand the key differences and points of fibromyalgia; finding a doctor who understands these issues is the first step.
It is difficult to make the other partner understand when one partner is suffering from fibromyalgia. The first step is finding a doctor who can understand the issue.
- Getting adequate amount of sleep- fibromyalgia patients might need different bed or pillow. Set proper bedtime routine. Give them light snack or foods that promote better sleep one such is food rich in omega-3 and calcium. Moody morning and hurt feelings can be avoided by knowing your partners sleeping schedule. Some have found that sleeping in separate rooms can create issues while for some it has promoted better sleep. It would be useful if you discuss these options with your partner.
- Knowing what to expect- about fibromyalgia it is vital that everyone should be aware of it although every case is different. People having chronic pain should be aware that some days are bad. Hence keep up to date on your partner’s health and have a support group. Important factors to consider are communicating and knowing what intimacy issues to expect. Special sort of pain is experienced by those with fibromyalgia. Others are not able to understand this pain.
- Communication- it is critical to tell your partner how the overall health and well being is affected by the pain. Numerous studies have shown that depression and anxiety can be caused by fibromyalgia which impacts couples relationship. Feeling of sadness is reported by spouses and those in relationship when the side effects of fibromyalgia experienced by the partner. The partner should be understanding and have patience. Some things that may come on the way of their relationship are intimacy issues and personal communication qualms. Being open about realistic expectations can make a difference. Numerous studies have shown that sharing with your partner about health issues can promote overall better lifestyle.
- Honesty and understanding- both the sufferer and the partner may suffer from various levels of pain. Both can be saved from stress by getting educated and hence can start the healing process. In different manners you can find out what to expect from your partner and how to accept the disease that they have. The key should be open honesty and understanding. The partner with the disease may need some time alone. Every time they might not need someone’s company.
- Alone time- although it can be advantageous giving someone company but you should also respect their alone time. In a sensitive manner you should communicate intimate issues. If you partner is not feeling well do not attempt to cohere them into intimacy. It is critical to find ways to express intimate feelings and emotions. It can help improve overall health of the relationship. On one side of the table always consider the option of counselling. Resentment may develop if you build up emotions and feelings that are upsetting you within yourself. Hence you should know when to talk about certain issues.
- Activities- both together can do creative activities. This can be done in hobby and intimate sense. This will avoid any complications in the relationship. One suggestion that can open up new room for discussion is gaining insight on how a partner might feel. Keep an open and honest decision even though feelings may hurt. Happier relationship is possible if you keep up with the health care provider, keep up to date on appointment and treatments.
- Knowing limits- every fibromyalgia patient should know when to set up limits with their partners and those around them. If intimacy is an issue then about the pain and feelings talk to your partner. When compared to other chronic pain, diseases and illness, research is still lacking in this disease. Hence to find possible improvement talk to your doctor about the changes in your diet or lifestyle that can benefit your relationship with your partner and others.