The benefits that outweigh the disadvantages
Consequently, one should not shy away from joining support groups due to the risk of any conflict that might occur. The benefits of meeting with others who share the same or similar issues (online or in person) far outweigh any disadvantages. The positive gains include:
- Less chance of developing depression due to isolation
- More individuals looking out for the patient’s well-being
- Alleviation of stress and anxiety
- Consistent contact with healthcare professionals who facilitate these groups
- Improved management of physical symptoms due to consistent outside support and monitoring
This is especially important because the onset of anxiety and/or depression can actually cause the illness itself to worsen.