- There is no cure for rosacea.
- Medical therapy only helps to control the symptoms.
- Aside from medical therapy, some natural treatment methods can also be adopted to control the signs and symptoms of rosacea.
Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that can affect anyone. However, it is more common among females between the ages of 30 to 50 years. Rosacea is usually a result of the dilated blood vessels of the face, which causes redness or flushed skin. Its symptoms can be triggered by exposure to sunlight, spicy foods, alcoholic beverages, cosmetic products, extreme temperature, and many others. However, the exact cause of rosacea is not known.
Roscaea has four subtypes with each of them having a distinct character and effects. People may have one or more subtypes at the same time.
The symptoms which help in determining this condition are –
- The texture of the skin changes to being thick, coarse, and lumpy than usual.
- The face might glow with a reddish hue and is persistent with noticeable blood vessels. The skin becomes dry and sensitive.
- Acne and Pimples in small formations which persist.
- The eyes are easily irritated and turn red and dry.
- Inflammation and a burning sensation on the skin.
Such symptoms often occur in a periodical manner. They may pop up for days then heal and again after a long time such signs may recur. It should be known that rosacea is not a contagious condition.
In some rare cases there might be a loss of vision with excessive thickening of skin. During a progressive stage, the nose may form wax on it and swell. Rhinopyma, a condition where there are lumpy formation over the nose may also be caused but is very rare. Untreated Rosacea may have some effects which grow permanent over time.
Rosacea cannot be cured, but with the use of several medications, its symptoms can be controlled.While alcohol is not a contributor to this disease but binge drinking will worsen the condition if the person is already diagnosed with it. Commonly there is no need of any medical test to diagnose this disorder as the effects on the skin are an obvious indicator of it. Individuals with fair skin texture and a rosy hue are at a higher risk to catch this infection. Women are the major victims here than men.
Aside from medical therapy, some natural treatment methods can also be adopted to control the signs and symptoms of rosacea. Here are a fewof the alternative natural treatments that you could try to control your rosacea flares:
Cucumber facial mask
Blend a cucumber to form a paste and apply it over your face. Leave this facial mask for 30 minutes wash it off with some cold water afterwards. Do this daily for one month to see some amazing results.
Apple face mask
A fresh apple can be blended and applied on your face as an apple mask. Leave this on for about 15 minutes and rinse it off with some cold water when it’s dry. Use this every day to see quick results.
Herbal face mask
You can make this easily at home. Add 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder, 4 teaspoons of coriander powder and 1 to 2 tablespoons of fresh milk. Mix all of these together until it forms a paste. Refrigerate the herbal mixture. Once it is cool, apply the face mask twice a day daily and leave it on for 10 minutes before washing it off.
Aloe vera, as everyone knows, is a good natural remedy that helps many skin conditions including rosacea. Aloe Vera can be taken orally and can also be applied as a topical treatment for rosacea. Both methods are effective. The best results can be seen if aloe Vera is used two times a day.
Rubbing green tea over the affected areas
Green tea is well-known to have anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-oxidant properties that will help control the symptoms of rosacea. Rubbing green tea over the affected areas of your face is also helpful.
Gotu kola is an herb that is very helpful in healing your body. Add some gotu kola leaves in your daily diet to promote your body’s healing ability.
Zinc also helps fix your skin in numerous ways. Take 25 mg of zinc supplement two times a day daily with your meals.
Red clover tea
Red clover is a safe treatment for rosacea. It helps to reduce the redness and irritation of your facial skin. Drink red clover tea twice a day to see the desired results. Red clover is by far the safest natural remedy for rosacea.
Application of oatmeal
Oatmeal is not much known for its treatment for rosacea, but it is an exceptional form of treatment. It has several advantages such as reducing redness, itching, and the total removal of rosacea. All you need to do is to mix two tablespoons of oatmeal in a small quantity of water and apply it over the affected areas of your face.
Steps to be taken alongside the treatment
Treatment might heal the infection but you also need to follow the mentioned steps to prevent a further episode –
- Foods to avoid – Fried food (Processed), Artificial Sweeteners, Allergens (Any food which causes an allergy), dairy products like milk, cheese, yoghurt and even Caffeine.
- Foods to eat – Herbs (Collard greens, Ginger, Garlic, Turmeric), Cruciferous Vegetables and Fruits (Organic), Anti-inflammatory foods and food rich in omega 3 and healthy fats.
- Identifying the particular triggers that worsen your flares is elemental. So, keeping a food journal to record the daily diet is immensely helpful.
- Using skin products which are anti-bacterial and have less chemical content would help in moisturizing the skin to prevent any flares.
- While getting the daily Vitamin D requirement from the sun rays is important, it is seen that UV rays from the sun can deteriorate the infection. Hence wearing a sunscreen which is suitable for your skin is important. Beware of any sunscreen which is toxic and not recommended by the doctors.
- Depression and stress has also been seen to aggravate the symptoms of rosacea. Stay open minded and get to know every bit about the condition. Do reach for some support in warding off this disorder.