How to Decrease Asthma Attacks Without Medication
• If you have know allergens such as pets, pollen or certain foods- make sure to avoid them.
• Do not smoke, or be around second-hand smoke.
• Low magnesium intake is associated with increased asthma prevalence. Fish oils may be beneficial. Adjust your diet accordingly.
• Weight reduction in obese asthmatics leads to improved control.
• Desensitization using allergen-specific immunotherapy may be beneficial in a small subgroup of patients.
• Patients with asthma should receive pneumococcal vaccination and annual influenza. Inactive vaccines (Pneumovax) are associated with few side effects but use of the live attenuated influenza vaccine may be associated with asthma exacerbations in young children.