Healthy Living

Cystic Fibrosis: Accommodating for College

How to ask for accommodations

If you have any questions about how to obtain accommodations from your school, you should contact the administration department or student support services. You should be set up to speak in person with someone about your health needs. While the law protects you from having to tell your school that you have CF, you will be required to tell them about it if you are requesting accommodations because of the disease.

When asking your school for accommodations, you should provide your school with your and your doctor's accommodation requests and get a written agreement with your school that states the changes they are willing to make. If you are going far to stay on campus, you and your CF care team will also want to get in touch with the CF care center that is closest to your school to make prior arrangements in case of an emergency.