According to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Patient Registry, over 1,000 new cases of cystic fibrosis are diagnosed each year in the United States. What’s more, over 70,000 individuals are living with cystic fibrosis and nearly half are living in the United States alone. There is currently no cure for cystic fibrosis; however, there are several treatments to help ease symptoms and make the condition a bit easier to live with. Such treatments include:
- Antibiotics to treat and prevent chest infections;
- Medications to reduce inflammation in the airways;
- Medications to eliminate mucus buildup in the lungs;
- Medications to help food absorption;
- Supplements to prevent malnutrition;
- Lung transplantation
Despite the concerns about the outcome of the procedure, lung transplantation in patients with cystic fibrosis has proven to be successful. Gigantic steps are taken towards treatment and care for individuals with cystic fibrosis so that they, like Selwa, can live longer, happier, and healthier lives.