Non-surgical methods are always preferred by people. But still, in some cases, surgical correction of the disorder maybe the only option. Especially if the OSA is severe and life threatening.
Whatever treatment options one chooses will depend on both the medical specialist and personal preferences of the person. But one has to understand that OSA is a serious medical condition, and it has to be taken in that way. The earlier you take measure, better are the chances that simple lifestyle and behavioral changes would help. It is much more than mere snoring at night time, one must learn to identify the lesser understood symptoms like irritation, fatigue and daytime sleepiness. If timely intervention can boost the performance of professional footballer so can it boost yours.
1. Sleep Review. Being Diagnosed with Sleep Apnea Changed Ravens Center Ryan Jensen’s Life [Internet]. Sleep Review. 2017 [cited 2017 Aug 22]. Available from: http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2017/08/diagnosed-sleep-apnea-changed-ravens-center-ryan-jensens-life/
2. What Causes Sleep Apnea? - NHLBI, NIH [Internet]. [cited 2017 Aug 22]. Available from: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/sleepapnea/causes
3. NHS Choices. Obstructive sleep apnoea - NHS Choices [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2017 Aug 22]. Available from: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Sleep-apnoea/Pages/Introduction.aspx
4. Kapur VK, Auckley DH, Chowdhuri S, Kuhlmann DC, Mehra R, Ramar K, et al. Clinical Practice Guideline for Diagnostic Testing for Adult Obstructive Sleep Apnea: An American Academy of Sleep Medicine Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Sleep Med JCSM Off Publ Am Acad Sleep Med. 2017 Mar 15;13(3):479–504.
5. Clinical Guideline for the Evaluation, Management and Long-term Care of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Adults. J Clin Sleep Med JCSM Off Publ Am Acad Sleep Med. 2009 Jun 15;5(3):263–76.
6. Dioguardi A, Al-Halawani M. Oral Appliances in Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2016 Dec;49(6):1343–57.