Pesto is another way to get leafy greens into your diet
Pesto is one of the most delicious ways to pack a bunch of nutrients into one food. We recommend using it as a dip for vegetables, or throwing some into a dish at the very last second.
Here's a recipe for superfood pesto:
- 2 C packed spinach leaves
- 2 C packed kale leaves, stems removed
- 1-2 C packed basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic (roast them beforehand to get a smoother, earthy garlic flavor)
- 1/2-3/4 C olive oil
- 1/2 grated salty Italian cheese (Parmigiano or pecorino for example)
- 1/4 C toasted pine nuts (you can also use walnuts or almonds here)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor or a high-strength blender, blend the garlic until little to no chunks remain. Then, add spinach leaves, kale leaves, basil leaves, cheese, and pine nuts. While processing/blending, stream in the olive oil from the top until you get the consistency you'd like (thicker for dipping--thinner for sauce). Finally, taste, and add salt and pepper as you'd like.