Signs and Symptoms
Flu often comes suddenly. Most people develop some of these symptoms:
Flu time is known as that time of the season when the immune system of the individual takes a hit. It is the time wherein people who are prone to getting the flu easily start to take vitamins so that they can boost the immune system and make them stronger. A strong immune system is key for warding off or keeping the flu bacteria and germs away. But many a times, even after taking a lot of precautions and necessary steps, you or your children may still catch a cold or develop symptoms related to the flu. Hence, there is often the question as to what are the best methods to be followed to prevent the flu. Below are certain tips that an individual can follow to protect them from contracting the flu and at the same time ward off colds:
- Maintain self-hygiene: In our daily, busy lives, we are always on the go, and there are a lot of times when we do not pay attention to what we are touching and where our hands have been. Many a times, we tend to directly hold any food we eat or touch our faces with the hands that have not been washed properly and may have touched so many things in between that we were not aware of. One of the most important and best safety tips is to be sure that the hands are washed frequently and also inculcating this habit of washing hands in the minds of one’s children. Once they are aware of this habit, they will automatically carry out the hand washing practice without even having to be told. The more we wash our hands, the less likely our chances of contracting any kind of germs relating to a cold or the flu. However, washing hands at all times is not possible because certain places may not have the facilities required for washing hands. In such cases, the individual can make use of hand sanitizers or hand sanitizing wipes, which are new products introduced into the market. Also, one should be careful that, if the hands are not clean or not washed properly, they should avoid touching the face with them since it can turn out to be the easiest way to invite in harmful bacteria or germs.
- Be sure to maintain clean surroundings: Another safety tip pertaining to avoiding the flu is to be sure that the house as well as the area around us is well maintained, and it should always be clean. It can include office spaces, gardens, lawns, or areas near our home. As much as it is important to maintain a clean house, similarly, a clean surrounding is also of the utmost importance. A messy and untidy area can turn out to be a breeding ground for germs and harmful bacteria. This should be considered a top priority when the flu season starts. Whatever items you have been using, such as laptops, tables, mobile phones, and tablets, should also be cleaned properly with wipes every time before using. The cleaner the surroundings, the less likely for germs to thrive there.
- Flu vaccination: There may be different opinions regarding flu vaccination, but certain reports suggest that flu vaccinations are known to help in reducing the chances of an individual contracting the flu or a cold. It is known to be one of the most important health-related safety tips, especially in terms of kids, since they are more prone to colds and the flu. It is also termed to be a quick as well as an easy method to avoid contracting flu.
- Be sure to maintain a healthy lifestyle: A diet that is complete with the important nutrients, such as high in minerals and vitamins, is known to keep the immune system strong and healthy, which in turn can fight off any germs or bacteria. A weak or impaired immune system may find it difficult to fight off any bacteria or viruses, thereby making the disease stronger and weakening the body. During the flu season, one should be sure to eat a nutritious diet, stay hydrated, and get plenty of sleep. Also, one should try to avoid any kind of stress factors. When it comes to children, a few health tips are giving them foods rich in vitamins C, D, and B complex, since these are known to help keep colds and the flu at bay. One should note that maintaining a healthy lifestyle is something that may not happen overnight; it is basically a kind of habit that develops if practiced religiously. These tips can be practiced not only during the flu season, but should be kept up in all seasons. The healthier one is, the less likely they are to contract a cold or the flu.
- Avoid touching those with the flu: It is quite common for any one of us to shake hands with people whom we meet for the first time. But during the flu season, it is always best to limit this gesture to a minimum, especially when the other person is showing signs of a cold or the flu. Shaking hands can lead to the passing of germs from one person to another. But, even if you do shake hands with a person who has flu symptoms, it is important to wash your hands thoroughly. One of the other important tips here is to be sure that the child keeps from touching or being too close to any individual who is suffering from a cold or the flu.
- Keep the respiratory system clear: One of the other useful tips for cold and flu season is to invest in a humidifier or a neti pot. A humidifier is known to work by easing out the sore throats, whereas a neti pot is known to be a good option for clearing up any clogged sinuses. Sinuses that are clogged tend to lead to infections in an individual. In case you find that your or your child’s nose is not clear and is stuffed up, try to sleep with the head propped up on pillows so that the mucus does not in clog up the airways in any way, thereby producing a breeding ground for bacteria. One of the other ways to maintain a clean respiratory system is by trying to avoid smoking. If you are a smoker and not well at the same time, then avoid smoking at least during that period, or else it may worsen the situation. The smoke from a cigarette is known to contain more than 4000 toxins, and most of these are said to irritate or kill the cells present in the body. For those who are passive smokers, there is an increase in the chance of getting ear-related infections, bronchitis, and asthma. This condition mostly occurs in children.
- Keep yourself hydrated: As much as diet, which is known to be important, keeping oneself hydrated at all times is also helpful in removing all the toxins and waste from the body. Water is known to be the best way to flush out any kind of waste from the body, thereby keeping it healthy always.