Any pain that is felt around the hip joint is usually referred to as hip pain. This is a very common condition and often confusing, as there are several reasons for the pain in the hip region. Hip pain can make everyday activities more difficult. Many people feel a snapping sound in the hip joint. In most cases, simple home remedies may be helpful in alleviating the pain. Since causes for this condition are many, accurate diagnosis is important for successful treatment of the condition. A number of issues like overuse, body changes with age, infection, tumor, infection and many congenital conditions may lead to hip pain.
Causes for hip pain:
- Hip fracture – This is one of the most serious causes of hip pain and is very common in elderly people. As the bones become brittle and fragile with age, it is very easy to have a hip fracture in elderly people.
- Arthritis – This is one of the most frequent causes of hip pain. Conditions like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis may result in the breakdown of the cartilage that cushions the hip joint. Arthritis being a very progressive disease may result in increasing pain in the hip region. It may also result in stiffness and reduced motion in the hip region.
- Muscle strain – Overuse of muscles through repeated activities may put strain on the muscles, tendons, and ligaments in the region. Inflammation in the hip joint region may then lead to shooting pain and reduced functioning of the hip.
- Tendinitis – Strain that leads to inflammation of tendons may also cause acute pain in the hip region.
- Hip bursitis – Bursa is a small sac on the outer side of the hip and protects the muscles and tendons in the region. Inflammation of bursa is another reason for pain in the region and may be caused by overuse, infection and minor trauma.
- Osteonecrosis – This results from the death of bone tissue due to reduced blood supply to the region.
- Cancer – Bone cancer may also result in acute pain in the hip.
Many back and spine problems may lead to pain in and around the hips. Congenital problems like developmental dysplasia and diseases like Legg-Calve-Perthes disease also result in hip damage and also hip pain.
Symptoms that need medical attention:
- Difficulty in walking
- Injury in the hip joint
- Pain while relaxing or resting
- Difficulty in bending the hip region
- Swelling in the hip area
- Pain that persists beyond few days