- Treatment for strep throat
- Symptoms of strep throat
Causes of strep throat
Strep throat is a dangerous infection that causes various effects in the throat. A person with the disease will experience a lot of symptoms, most of which will vary from throat-related symptoms to affecting the rest of the body.
Strep throat primarily affects the throat and is one of the most common causes of sore throat. It is also known to infect children the most, although adults can have the disease, too. Since the infection is contagious, it is a major threat if not treated in a timely fashion.
Strep throat attacks tissues and causes inflammation that is later accompanied by pain in the throat. The main cause of strep throat arises from the bacteria known as Group A Streptococcus. This is a bacterium that is very contagious. Upon infection by the bacterium, it produces droplets that can remain in the mouth, nose, or even skin.
Symptoms of strep throat
The symptoms of strep throat, especially in children, can be irritating and dangerous. Depending on the individual factors, such as immunity or past medical history, the symptoms can be mild or severe. If these symptoms are not relieved or managed, they can cause more harm to your health.
These symptoms include:
- Swallowing difficulties - This is one of the most evident symptoms, which is known to develop with time as the infection becomes severe.
- Fever - This is experienced often in children.
- White patches around the soft or hard palate - This is the region in the back of your mouth.
- Nausea and vomiting - This is usually experienced by children.
- A quick rash
- Body aches and tiredness
- Swollen tonsils and lymph nodes - This is particularly true for lymph nodes around the neck. They can be felt by touching the area around the neck.
Reasons why you should consider holistic treatment
There are a number of factors that are worth considering before you choose holistic treatment. Some of these factors include avoiding the side effects of antibiotics for treatment of strep throat.
Some of these reasons include the following:
- Strep throat is no longer a serious infection as it was once considered. In the past, strep throat was known to cause dangerous complications, such as rheumatic fever. Since the complications caused by the infection have been reduced, there is less of a need for antibiotics. People can use holistic treatments that are more fulfilling and easy.
- In cases where a person is suffering from other infections, antibiotics may not be the best treatment method. In most cases, antibiotics are prescribed for signs of strep throat. This can be dangerous, since other underlying infections may go untreated. However, holistic treatment is able to deal with other underlying infections to some level.
- There have been multiple cases of the over-prescribing of antibiotics. This has also led to increased overdosing. There are cases where people use antibiotics more often when they identify any signs of strep throat. Continuous use of antibiotics in the case of severe strep throat can also be dangerous to the health.
- Bacterial resistance to antibiotics has developed. As a result of continuous use of antibiotics, bacteria develop a resistance to the medication. This becomes dangerous when there is a recurrence of the infection.
Holistic treatment measures for strep throat
There are a number of treatment measures which are safe and easy to apply in the treatment of strep throat. Most of these treatment measures include common sense practices and natural remedies. Not only do these measures treat the disease, but they also help in the recovery of the affected parts of the throat.
Here are some reasons to consider holistic treatment options.
- They reduce the possibility of bacteria building a resistance mechanism. Continuous use of other medications and antibiotics can easily enable resistances, unlike holistic treatment.
- They are easily accessible and simple to use. Most of these treatment options do not required any knowledge or a specialist to guide on how to use them.
- Some are cheaper when compared to medical treatment.
- They also have reduced side effects as compared to some medical treatment measures.
These holistic treatment tips include:
- Bone broth - Bone broth is a very important remedy for the treatment of strep throat. It is generally important in treating a number of illnesses, both acute and chronic. Bone broth, especially that obtained from beef, chicken, or fish bones, helps in strengthening the immune and digestive systems. You can also obtain this from any other healthy animal. Bone broth is easy to digest and enables fast recovery of the throat.
- Colloidal silver - This is a substance that contains antibiotic properties. However, colloidal silver is powerful but should not be used often. It helps in boosting ones immune system and killing bacteria. The remedy is also safe, since it lacks side effects as compared to direct antibiotics.
- Vitamin D - This refers to Vitamin D3. It is a very effective remedy that is used in relieving symptoms of strep throat. Taking Vitamin D3 helps to relieve fever, chills, and sore throat, which are symptoms of strep throat.
- Salt water - Gargling salt water is a safe tip that will help you in creating a more conducive environment for your throat. To do this, put 1 teaspoon of salt in a glass with warm water. Shake or stir to mix the salt with the water. Gargle the mixture in your mouth for 2 to 3 minutes and spit it out. Doing this helps in breaking up mucus. As a result, it reduces swelling of tissues due to the infection. This is accomplished by reduction of water retention.
- Garlic - It might not sound pleasant to some, but it is a very effective method. It helps in enabling the throat and the body as a whole to fight infections. To use this, you need to mix raw garlic and honey to create a paste. Swallow a teaspoon of the paste slowly every 3 to 4 hours.
- Chinese herbs - The Chinese herbs are known to contain a number of herbs that not only treat the symptoms but also deal with the root cause of the infection. Some of these herbs may include Yin Qiao San, which is taken when the infection is in its early stages. Other herbs can include Cold Quell.
Apart from dealing with the holistic treatments listed above, there is a number of other simple tips you can follow to prevent recurrence of strep throat and reduce the symptoms, as well. Using a tissue to cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing can reduce the chances of getting strep throat.
Changing your toothbrush regularly is also an important step to prevent the infection. This is because there is a possibility of bacteria accumulating in the toothbrush and transmitting the infection.
The bottom line
Strep throat is a contagious condition that you should not only know how to treat, but you should also know how to identify the right methods in preventing the infection. In cases where you are experiencing symptoms that suggest strep throat, take necessary treatment as soon as possible.
In case you are using holistic treatments and they fail, consult a doctor for a checkup. This can help in identifying any underlying infections.