Bacterial vaginitis is the most popular type of vaginal infection. Normally, the vagina contains both wanted and unwanted bacteria and the imbalance between the two is the main cause of vaginitis.
There are a number of symptoms associated with this infection such as:
- Vaginal discharge with a fish-like odor
- Itching sensation and/or pain during urination or intercourse
The main cause of the imbalance between these bacteria has not yet been determined, but there are a number of factors that increase the chances of getting the infection. These factors include excessive smoking, douching, and frequent change of sex partners.
As much as bacterial vaginitis is considered to be a mild infection, it should be treated with the seriousness it requires. Medical attention should be sought the moment any related symptoms are detected. Good news is, there are some simple home remedies that are effective in getting rid of the infection. Here some are the most common ones:
Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is among the most effective home remedies for eradicating bacterial vaginitis. It has an acidic nature that helps in increasing vaginal acidity. The bad bacteria find it hard to survive in an environment with high acidity levels.
- Mix one or two cups of the apple cider vinegar with the bath water
- Sit in the water for about 20 minutes
- Gently pat dry the vaginal region
- You can do this once every day until there are signs of improvement
Yogurt is probably one of the most common and easily available home remedies. It contains healthy bacteria called lactobacillus that is very effective in fighting the harmful bacteria in the vagina.
- Immerse a piece of cotton in yogurt and apply it to the area that is affected. Wash the region wholly with clean water after about 30 minutes. You can repeat the process at least three times a day for best results.
- You can also put a tampon with yogurt in the vagina and leave it there for about one to two hours before removing it. This can be repeated twice daily for effectiveness.
- Taking two cups of yogurt daily can also be effective and it is a good way of restoring a normal pH which discourages bad bacteria in the vagina.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil has plenty of natural compounds that help fight bacteria and fungi. These compounds can be very effective in getting rid of the harmful bacteria in the vagina that cause bacterial vaginosis. It can also get rid of the odor that is associated with bacterial vaginosis. The procedure is as follows:
- Put a few drops into a cup or bowl of warm water and stir until it fully dissolves. Rinse the vagina using the solution. Use it daily for up to four weeks or until the infection is gone.
- You can also blend three cups of vinegar and three drops of tea tree oil and add to your bath water which should be lukewarm. Then soak in the water for up to half an hour. You can do this daily for up to two months or until you find it unnecessary.
Garlic is an antibiotic that is natural and can prove useful in the eradication of bacterial vaginosis. It is also anti-fungal which can be good in keeping the bad bacteria at bay. To utilize garlic:
- Apply three or four crushed garlic cloves on to the affected area. Then rinse the affected area with lukewarm water after around 20 minutes. You can do this on a daily basis for two to three months or until you feel better.
- You can also insert a wrapped garlic glove into the vagina and let it stay there for at most thirty minutes. You can use gauze for wrapping and make sure to remove it after 30 minutes since it can cause soreness.
- You can also consult your doctor for garlic capsules or eat raw or cooked garlic daily.
Fenugreek is another very effective alternative treatment for bacterial vaginosis. It works by boosting the immune system and increasing the pH levels in the vagina, and these boosted levels speeds up the healing process. Procedure:
- Submerge two tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in a cup containing water over night, then drink it in the morning prior to eating your breakfast. Do this on a daily basis until you notice any improvements.
- You can also eat fenugreek powder mixed in a cup of yogurt two times daily until the symptoms disappear.
Milk is an effective remedy for bacterial vaginitis since it contains lactobacilli bacteria which helps fight bad bacteria. It also boosts the immune system. You can use it in the below ways:
- Dip a tampon in milk and put it inside the vagina. You can then remove it after one to two hours. Do this daily until all the symptoms disappear.
- You can also drink a glass of warm milk with turmeric powder in it. You can drink it on a daily basis until your condition gets better.
Coconut oil is another effective remedy due to its antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties that can get rid of the germs that eventually lead to bacterial vaginitis.
- You can apply organic coconut oil on the vagina three times on a daily basis until you witness no signs of the bacterial vaginitis.
- You can also insert a tampon with coconut oil into the vagina and leave it there for about two hours. Then thoroughly rinse the affected area with lukewarm water. Do this on a daily basis until the condition gets better.
- You can also add the coconut oil in your foods. This will make your immune system stronger and in a better position to fight the infection.
Tea can be effective in reducing swelling and irritation, and it can also soothe the burning sensation associated with bacterial vaginitis. This is made possible by the antibiotic and astringent properties in the tannins found in the tea. You can use tea to treat vaginitis by:
- Soak one tea bag in warm water for up to fifteen minutes.
- Chill it in a refrigerator for a couple of minutes.
- Put the tea bag on the affected area to help relieve the itching. You can do this up to four times on a daily basis for a few weeks or until the infection is completely cleared.
This can also be referred to as margosa or neem. It can be effective in reducing the inflammation and itching that is normally associated with this infection. It contains anti-fungal and antibacterial properties that also destroy the germs that bring about bacterial vaginosis. Procedure:
- Use a pan to heat the Indian lilac leaves. No water or any other liquid is needed.
- Give the leaves some time to cool before grinding them into a fine powder.
- Make a paste by mixing the powder with a little water.
- Apply the paste into the affected area and leave it there for 30 minutes before rinsing it with lukewarm water. You can repeat this twice daily until there are no symptoms.
These holistic treatments can be very effective in getting rid of bacterial vaginitis and preventing it from recurring. It is however advisable to visit a medical doctor if the symptoms persist after using these remedies.
- Good news is, there are some simple home remedies that are effective in getting rid of the infection.
- Yogurt is probably one of the most common and easily available home remedies.
- Garlic is a natural antibiotic that can prove useful in the eradication of bacterial vaginosis.