Lupus nephritis will also require you to make lifestyle changes
If you are diagnosed with lupus nephritis you will need to make specific lifestyle changes to protect your kidneys. These include:
- Drinking fluids to stay well hydrated.
- Eat a low-sodium diet.
- Stop smoking if you are currently a smoker and don’t drink an excessive amount of alcohol.
- Put together an exercise regimen, but do not push yourself.
- Keep your blood pressure at a reasonable level. Limit your cholesterol by eating cholesterol-lowering foods like beans, lentils, and peas.
- Avoid medication that aren’t good for your kidneys like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories or NSAIDs.
- It is also recommended that you eat a diet low in phosphorus, potassium and protein.
- Include avocados, oats and almonds in your diet to reduce your cholesterol.