How Lupus Patients Can Protect Their Lungs from Unhealthy Air
Living with lupus can be a constant uphill battle. This condition is different from many others in that it cannot be cured. Many people live with lupus for a long time without even knowing they have it. Lupus does not appear like other diseases; instead, its symptoms will mimic other diseases. People may have to spend a lot of time working with their doctor and endure incorrect diagnoses before they learn they have lupus.
Lupus cannot be cured. However, treatments can help someone with lupus control their symptoms. With symptoms under control, a person with lupus can live a much healthier and happier life. Treatments allow people to avoid unpleasant situations and treat the after-effects that aggravate the body.
Lupus is a complicated condition. It affects many areas of the body and can do damage to the lungs especially. Lungs affected by lupus need to be protected. To avoid further aggravation of the condition, there are steps to take to keep symptoms at bay. The air one breathes in, for example, can irritate the lungs and even lead to an infection. The American Lung Association is also a great resource to stay healthy.
It is a constant battle for those who live with lupus. Every lupus patient has to deal with his or her own struggles since they are not the same for everyone. Lupus is seen as a complex medical condition that is known to have an impact on various parts of the body and can do great damage to the lungs as well. In such cases, then, protecting the lungs becomes a top priority, and one must not do anything that will aggravate the condition. Below are a few things a lupus patient can carry out to ensure that they (mostly) avoid breathing in unhealthy air, which can further damage their lungs:
- Air pollution is one of the most common concerns in a large number of countries since prolonged exposure can lead to irritants damaging the lungs. To avoid this, an individual should be sure to keep a watchful eye on the forecast for the day’s air pollution levels, which is very similar to a weather forecast. If there are any days when the air pollution is going to be high, then it is better to stay indoors. Such forecasts can be found on the internet.
- One of the other ways to keep the lungs as well as the overall body healthy is by following a proper exercise regimen. It should generally be carried out on a regular basis. However, when there is too much air pollution outside, you can opt for carrying out the exercises at home instead. An early morning walk or a jog is also helpful when the pollution levels are low.
- One of the best ways to avoid air pollution is to avoid creating them in the first place, since human beings are known to be a part of causing pollution in some way or another. This can be done through activities such as turning off electric items when not in use, sharing transportation to reduce traffic, etc. An individual should look for other ways to reduce their carbon footprint.
- Try to avoid burning garbage or any other discarded items since the materials that are present in the garbage may not always get burnt completely; some may break up into ash or chemicals and spread into the air, leading to more pollution. It can also be a possible cause of lung infections.
- Gasoline is known to create pollution, so, while doing any chores, try to avoid using any equipment that runs on gasoline. It is always better to have as little exposure to these pollutants as possible.
- It is always better to include other people or communities in the movement to reduce pollution in the air. Advocating for those who have lupus can be a good way to get the community involved in this mission. Spreading knowledge around to one and all can help a great deal.
- Smoking is another concern for lupus patients. If a person smokes too frequently around you, talk to them about it and make them understand the repercussions of their actions.