Tips to prevent the flu:
Get flu shots – Flu vaccinations still remain the best way to prevent flu in the season. One should ideally get vaccinated in fall to avoid the chances of getting flu. If one has missed it, try to get the shot in winter. One can chose either a flu shot that contains killed virus or a nasal spray that contains weakened flu virus. The only inconvenience with the shot is the mild itching in the area and low fever, both of which are bearable.
Develop hygienic habits – Flu viruses are very contagious and spread soon from one person to another through direct contact, coughing, sneezing or even by touching a surface with the virus. While coughing and sneezing, hundreds of the infectious agents are sent to the air embedded in the droplets. So keep yourself clear from people whom you think have the flu. In most cases, it spreads without you knowing just by touching a surface that contains the virus as in a restaurant, malls and other places visited by the flu-infected person. If you touch the contaminated surface and then touch the face, it gives an easy entry for the virus to infect you.
Learn hygienic habits like:
- Wash hands thoroughly before touching the face and eating. Good hygiene is always in the forefront in controlling spread of flu.
- If you can’t get water, do have a hand sanitizer ready with you to use when needed.
- Avoid touching mouth, nose and eyes without cleaning hands.
- Avoid sharing things when a person has flu. Clean the utensils and cloth thoroughly with soap and water.
- Flu shots are extremely effective.