Healthy Living

Is There a Connection Between Vitamin D Deficiencies and Diabetes?

Is There a Connection Between Vitamin D Deficiencies and Diabetes?

Vitamins are essential nutrients and needed to prevent harmful diseases or complications. Studies in the last century have discovered that vitamin deficiencies are an increasing health epidemic and being deficient in vitamins affects almost 1 million people worldwide.

The body cannot produce vitamins in adequate amounts to prevent health problems, which means that it is essential for you to provide the vitamins by eating the right foods or by supplementing. There are two forms of vitamin D. Vitamin D2 comes from fortified food, plant-based foods, and supplements. Vitamin D3 or cholecalciferol also comes from fortified foods, but also from fatty fish, cod liver oil, eggs, liver, and supplements.

To have vitamin D3, your body must be exposed to the sun. Using sunscreen, covering up, and working indoors is great, but it has also caused vitamin D deficiencies. A lack of sufficient vitamin D produces an alarming number of skeletal health issues. Without enough vitamin D, your body suffers from cognitive disorders, obesity, psychological disorders, autoimmune diseases, infections, cardiovascular disease and the risk of diabetes. 

Vitamin D is also needed to fight infections and reduce inflammation. Your immune system needs vitamin D to operate efficiently.

The University of California, San Diego School of Medicine and Seoul National University in Korea have put together a link showing vitamin D deficiencies put people at risk of type 2 diabetes. The study is not definitive, and the authors explain the evidence to date is somewhat mixed.

Blood tests determine the level of 25(OH)D in the blood. There are still questions about the ideal level of 25(OH)D that is needed to circumvent disease and guarantee optimum health. However, Cedric F. Garland, an adjunct professor in the Department of Family Medicine and Public Health at the UC, San Diego School of Medicine proclaimed the “optimal range” should be 30 nanograms per milliliter of blood.

A mere 20% of vitamin D should come from diet. The remaining 80% comes from UV-B exposure to the sun, or baring sun exposure, and supplements.

Need to stock up on Vitamin D? Click here to learn more.