There are ways to protect against these complications and to ward off fatty liver disease. Some precautionary measures include:
- Avoiding alcohol and/or keep intake to a small amount
- Losing weight if necessary; maintain a healthy weight
- Keeping cholesterol levels, especially LDL and triglycerides down
- Maintaining healthy blood sugar levels
- Sticking to a healthy diet
- Taking the right steps to lower blood pressure
Also, communicating with one’s health practitioner on a consistent basis helps. A doctor might order an ultrasound of the liver upon the diagnosis of diabetes in order to get a baseline reading. Afterward, periodic checks of liver function should be expected.