Here are some alternatives to using medical cannabis for sleep apnea
There are some treatments of sleep apnea that may help if you are not comfortable using medical marijuana. Alternative remedies can include:
- Try sleeping on your side and not your back.. Sleeping on your back makes it easier for your tongue and the soft tissues in your throat to obstruct your airway.
- There is also the tennis ball trick Sew a tennis ball into a pocket on the back of your pajamas, or stuff your pillow with tennis balls and put it behind your back. It'll make it really uncomfortable to turn yourself over.
- Prop your head up. Elevate the head of your bed to approximately six inches. You can also elevate your body by using a special cervical pillow or even a foam wedge.
- Open up your nasal passages at night by using a nasal dilator. You can also use saline spray, a nasal irrigation system (neti pot) or breathing strips.
- Squeeze the muscles that keep your mouth closed. Chew gum or hold a pencil between your teeth until your jaw starts to hurt to tighten your jaw muscles.
- Singing can help increase muscle control in your throat and soft palate. Singing will help reduce your snores and other sleep apnea symptoms that are caused by relaxed muscles.
- Play the didgeridoo or a native Australian wind instrument. Practicing the didgeridoo will help strengthen the throat and soft palate. It will also decrease your snoring.