Alfredo Pesto Pasta
Prep time: 30 minutes
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces fettuccine, cooked
- food processor (you'll need help from your adult assistant)
- stirring spoon
- mixing bowl
- Finely chop basil, walnuts, and garlic in food processor.
- Gradually add olive oil while machine is running and process until smooth.
- Mix in ¼ cup cheese.
- Transfer the pesto to a small jar. (Pesto can be prepared 3 days in advance. Pour enough olive oil over sauce to cover. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bring cream to slight boil in medium saucepan. Be careful not to burn the cream.
- Once cream begins to boil, whisk in pesto. Season sauce with remaining ¼ cup Parmesan in large bowl.
- Toss to coat pasta evenly and serve.
Serving size: 1½ cup
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 1048 calories
- 29 g protein
- 64 g fat
- 414 mg sodium
- 371 mg calcium
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
Variations and suggestions:
Consider adding chicken or shrimp to this dish for added protein.