According to the survey, these strategies can help patients find work.
The survey further reviews strategies that those with disabilities use to find work and navigate around barriers. Some of these strategies are to:
- Explore new opportunities and be open to new ideas. Be flexible in the type of job you want and know that each new job is an opportunity to learn something new. Try job shadowing, taking additional classes, looking for internships, and volunteering at places where you would like to work.
- Use an employment agency that meets your needs. There are Vocational Rehabilitation agencies designed to aid the disabled to find employment.
- Use personal job search strategies. Use more than one means to find a job. Family and friends are significant resources.
- Take control. Take matters into your own hands; have a resume ready that emphasizes what you can do rather than what you cannot do.
- Be prepared to defend your positives.
- Look for training programs that are designed to teach new skills.