Treatment and Prognosis
In lupus, progression of nephritis to a severe condition requiring dialysis does not essentially mean end-stage renal disease. Research has shown that with the right kind of treatment 10-28% of cases may make enough recovery to come off dialysis(8).
In lupus nephritis, the doctor would often prescribe drugs called ACE inhibitors and ARB’s to tackle high blood pressure and protect kidneys. But advance stage may require immunosuppression by using more toxic drugs like prednisolone and cyclophosphamide. A kidney transplant may be an option in the end-stage kidney disease.
1. Mastakar M. Nephritis: Medical experts tell us all you must know about it [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2017 Oct 7]. Available from: http://www.freepressjournal.in/weekend/nephritis-medical-experts-tell-us-all-you-must-know-about-it/1141962
2. Cojocaru M, Cojocaru IM, SilosiI, Vrabie CD. Manifestations of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus. Mædica. 2011 Oct;6(4):330–6.
3. Levy DM, Kamphuis S. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus in Children and Adolescents. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2012 Apr;59(2):345–64.
4. Kidney Disease: Causes [Internet]. The National Kidney Foundation. 2015 [cited 2017 Oct 7]. Available from: https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidneydiscauses
5. Lech M, Anders H-J. The Pathogenesis of Lupus Nephritis. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2013 Sep 1;24(9):1357–66.
6. Weening JJ, D’Agati VD, Schwartz MM, Seshan SV, Alpers CE, Appel GB, et al. The Classification of Glomerulonephritis in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Revisited. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2004 Feb 1;15(2):241–50.
7. Bihl GR, Petri M, Fine DM. Kidney biopsy in lupus nephritis: look before you leap. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2006 Jul 1;21(7):1749–52.
8. Cheigh JS, Stenzel KH. End-stage renal disease in systemic lupus erythematosus. Am J Kidney Dis Off J Natl Kidney Found. 1993 Jan;21(1):2–8.